Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

IE7 - Firefox Killer?

Old 05-06-06, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

IE7 - Firefox Killer?

Been usin IE7 Beta (has it been out for a while?) and it's pretty nice. Lot of features that totally emulate Firefox and go beyond.
Old 05-06-06, 07:32 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

if it has extension-like features then maybe. otherwise...eh
Old 05-06-06, 07:35 PM

I'm not a Microsoft-basher or anything, but quite frankly IE has an uphill battle to be as good as Firefox.
Old 05-06-06, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by HN
if it has extension-like features then maybe. otherwise...eh

It has extensions that you apparenly have to pay for. Went to install a download manager extension...that was until it said it was 20.00$.
Old 05-06-06, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by dgmayor
It has extensions that you apparenly have to pay for.
Allow me to officially add myself to the "Microsoft Bashers" train if that's indeed the case. Good gravy!
Old 05-06-06, 08:06 PM
Retired

I never could get into Firefox. Too many sites that looked off, and don't like screwing with extension.

Prefer Maxthon myself. Pretty much 100% internet explorer compatible, and everything works the way I like with out having to install extensions.

That said, I will give IE 7 a try when it's out of beta form.
Old 05-06-06, 08:09 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by PJsig08
Been usin IE7 Beta (has it been out for a while?) and it's pretty nice. Lot of features that totally emulate Firefox and go beyond.
I have it installed and used it for a few weeks and didn't see anything that pulled me away from Firefox.

What did you see that is beyond Firefox?
Old 05-06-06, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I won't go back to IE of any version until it provides adblock-like capabilities. Even massive HOSTS file editting doesn't do the job as good as adblock.
Old 05-06-06, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PJsig08
The only feature I saw that emulated Firefox was tabbed browsing. Everything else about IE7 was bleh. No real extension support, no ad blocking and an irritating interface.
Old 05-06-06, 09:18 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Allow me to officially add myself to the "Microsoft Bashers" train if that's indeed the case. Good gravy!
The extensions are by third parties, who alone determine whether to charge for them.
Old 05-07-06, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
The only feature I saw that emulated Firefox was tabbed browsing. Everything else about IE7 was bleh. No real extension support, no ad blocking and an irritating interface.
IE7 is emulating Firefox which is emulating Opera . Since pretty much all of those features that FF gets praised for (tabbed browsing, integrated searches, integrated popup blocker etc etc) were all innovated by Opera.
Old 05-07-06, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I never could get into Firefox. Too many sites that looked off, and don't like screwing with extension.

Prefer Maxthon myself. Pretty much 100% internet explorer compatible, and everything works the way I like with out having to install extensions.

That said, I will give IE 7 a try when it's out of beta form.
Yep, Maxthon is the best of both worlds. It's an IE shell so there are no compatibility or memory hogging issues and has all the features of Firefox.
Old 05-08-06, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Thrush
IE7 is emulating Firefox which is emulating Opera . Since pretty much all of those features that FF gets praised for (tabbed browsing, integrated searches, integrated popup blocker etc etc) were all innovated by Opera.

I still like Opera the best. Some of the Firefox extensions are cool, but I never use any but mouse gestures and adblock.
Old 05-08-06, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by matome
Yep, Maxthon is the best of both worlds. It's an IE shell so there are no compatibility or memory hogging issues and has all the features of Firefox.
Except that it still has all of the security vulnerabilites of IE. Plus, memory hogging? So you only use programs that come with Windows?
Old 05-08-06, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I never got into Opera. I've tried it both as adware and non-ad-supported; on the adware version, the ad took up too much real estate, and when I got a s/n and used it for a a while, I didn't notice any big improvement over FF, which I was already used to.
My complaints about Firefox:
* it is a little ram-intensive
* sometimes javascript kills it [of course, I think javascript is overused and usually not helpful anyway].
I'll try IE7 when it gets out of beta, but for me, it's got a ways to go before it replaces FF.
Old 05-08-06, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like the Live Bookmarks in Firefox. I don't really see that functionality in IE7, but I haven't tried that hard either.
Old 05-08-06, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Except that it still has all of the security vulnerabilites of IE. Plus, memory hogging? So you only use programs that come with Windows?
I've never had a security problem with IE, and you're telling me Firefox doesn't have memory usage or rendering issues? I use Maxthon for the customization angle and if IE7 can take care of those that I use I'll switch over to it.
Old 05-08-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by matome
I've never had a security problem with IE, and you're telling me Firefox doesn't have memory usage or rendering issues? I use Maxthon for the customization angle and if IE7 can take care of those that I use I'll switch over to it.
You're lucky then.

I know that Firefox has memory issues, but I've personally never had a problem with it. I only use Firefox at work (Opera at home) so maybe that's it.
Old 05-08-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Groucho

I'm not a Microsoft-basher or anything, but quite frankly IE has an uphill battle to be as good as Firefox.
I'm not a Microsoft-basher or anything, but I can tell you with all sincerity and years of experience that IE is a piece of shit. I write code for it on a daily basis, and it boggles the mind how stupid it can be. The average web user probably doesn't notice, but developing for it on any deep level will drive you crazy. From what I've seen of IE 7, aside from overhauling the interface to emulate tabbed browsers, all the core rendering bugs are still there. Just about the only thing they've fixed is finally handling Alpha-transparency with PNG files, something that's been standard for everyone else for a good 5 years.

I try to shy away from conspiracy theories, but I have a hard time not believing that IE is intentionally filled with bugs, so developers are forced to write IE-specific code (huge market share) that won't render correctly in browsers that actually conform to sensible standards. To the end user, it looks like these better browsers don't work correctly, but the reality is that developers are writing bad code so it looks good on IE and don't have the time and resources to conform to standards and IE's wackiness.

[/rant]

I know it's still in Beta, but I'm not overly impressed with what I've seen.

das
Old 05-31-06, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, quite a few rendering bugs have been corrected in IE 7--if you use XHTML Strict. Infamous bugs like the margin doubling issue or the text disappearing problem have been fixed, and CSS 2 support seems to be much better.

We'll still have to code for IE 6 for years to come, but that's a simple comment conditional stylesheet.

Code:
<!--[if lt IE 7]>
<style type="text/css">@import url("/styles/application-ie.css");</style>
<![endif]-->
Of course, I'm not saying IE isn't a great big ass to design for, but IE 7 will be a welcome improvement.
Old 05-31-06, 01:37 AM

I've used IE7 and had it lock up on me multiple times. This was before some of the recent updates to the beta, but still, the browser was supposed to be in beta. Look at the betas that Google comes out with that are still supposedly in Beta. They're nearly flawless. Anyhow, I would never say that IE7 was a Firefox killer. I just wanted to test it out and see how it rendered CSS and various codings I had done. Really, I find it very lackluster and that Firefox still beats it in every department. It was very unaesthetically appealling. To me it was almost like gouging out my eyes with its bland look. It was an absolute assualt on the eyes. And there were innumerable things that I found that were still lacking in the product compared to Opera or Firefox. Really, the only noticeable jump I could see from IE6 to IE 7 was that it had tabbed browsing and seach bar (finally) and it had that one nice feature for text. Other than that, nothing really. Still it is in beta so we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 05-31-06, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by hiccup
Look at the betas that Google comes out with that are still supposedly in Beta. They're nearly flawless.
the difference is.. google never takes their product out of beta.. so its not a good comparison, since they dont have any true 'beta' products..
but some of their products in early 'beta' forms were really bad.
Old 05-31-06, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While I do agree that in many way Firefox 1.5.0.3 is better than Internet Explorer 7.0 there are two things I don't like about Firefox:

1. Some Firefox extensions can cause no end of trouble. For example, Fasterfox in its default Turbo Charged mode can cause some web pages to not load correctly without refreshing the page (a MAJOR annoyance! ), and configuring Ad-Block can be sometimes tricky to do.

2. Any time we get an update of Firefox it has a habit of "breaking" many themes and extensions.
Old 06-01-06, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Surfing the net with IE is like fucking whores without a condom.
Old 06-01-06, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RayChuang
2. Any time we get an update of Firefox it has a habit of "breaking" many themes and extensions.
Using the Nightly Tester Tool extension has solved that problem for me 100 percent of the time I've tried it. YMMV, but try it out.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.