Reload this Page >

Tips on changing a power supply request

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-05-06, 04:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my computer drama unfolds eternally. I've been having trouble with connecting to my wireless router so I re-installed the Linksys card and went to turn my system back on and voila: nothing.

A search here indicates power supply, but then I thought "Will I get shocked if I touch the wrong bit?". You know, like a TV set can totally shock you with its capacitors even when it's not plugged in.

I'm learning this hardware stuff as I go along (I swear the computer god wanted me to know this stuff and is fucking with my system in a systematic and endless way).

Any other useful tips on switching out a power supply or is it pretty intuitive?
Old 05-06-06, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's pretty intuitive. Check out this link: http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_power.htm

It has a pretty good explanation for how do the install.
Old 05-07-06, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I really wouldn't worry about getting shocked unless you dismantle the power supply itself. Pretty much take the four mounting screws off the back and then replug all the connectors. Definitely don't skimp and get a cheap one though. The good ones like Antec are much more efficient and quality-built.
Old 05-09-06, 09:18 PM

^^ What he said.
Old 05-15-06, 11:28 AM
Banned

Well, I got one that fit and hooked up the connectors. The cable format was slightly different, but there was a connection for every plug. Would this be sufficient?

It still doesn't turn on. Weird part was it was working great for the first time in a year and I turned it off to install a wireless card and it has not been able to power up since.