Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

need help editing home DVD

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-03-06, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about 200 min of miniDV footage that I've managed to edit down to about 100 min, so I can create a home movie/DVD. I'm using Video Studio 8. I'm not completely done, but I'm pretty sure I can't get this all on a standard 4.7GB DVD...??? I'm going to buy a new DL DVD burner, so would I be better off burning this onto a DL DVD? I'll still have to manually flip the DVD when one side ends, so it really won't matter, right? Basically, DL just allows me to keep 2 discs onto 1 (so I won't lose one)???!!!???

Would appreciate if anyone has some input on home movie creation... and their experience.

I've created about 5 home movie DVDs with menus and slide show of digital pics at end with music and all, but nothing over 100 minutes of video... I'm quite please with VS 8 - it just take a while - and a fast powerful system helps alot. Would a dual core system make a big difference - thinking of getting a new system next month.
Old 05-03-06, 06:13 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dual layer doesn't require flipping. Just as commercial dual layer discs don't require you to flip them to play them. Those that do are called "flippers" and are very rare to find as recordables.

I don't think video apps take advantage of dual-core. For that purpose you'd be better off with the fastest single-core CPU you could find.

If you like VS 8 you should try a demo of Ulead VideoStudio. Or maybe you shouldn't.
Old 05-04-06, 01:25 AM

OK, I must not understand this correctly... I'm currently using ULead VS 8 - not too bad - buddy of mine gave it to me, so it was FREE.

I was going to purchase a new dual-core system regardless. I was also going to purchase a new DL DVD burner, too.

I wasn't aware the acutal video editing software limited me to a 4.7GB standard DVD. So I guess I'm going to have to use 2 DVDs reagardless of a DL DVD burner...??? DANG!
Old 05-04-06, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just wait for these DL discs to go on sale. 8.5gb on a single sided disc and you won't have to split to two single-layer.
Old 05-04-06, 10:28 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by guppie
OK, I must not understand this correctly... I'm currently using ULead VS 8 - not too bad - buddy of mine gave it to me, so it was FREE.

I was going to purchase a new dual-core system regardless. I was also going to purchase a new DL DVD burner, too.

I wasn't aware the acutal video editing software limited me to a 4.7GB standard DVD. So I guess I'm going to have to use 2 DVDs reagardless of a DL DVD burner...??? DANG!
Oh, I misunderstood. I was thinking you were using Studio Version 8, not VisualStudio 8.

Yours doesn't support dual layer? Version 10 says it supports dual layer. Maybe you should ask Ulead whether version 8 does.

If your version doesn't you might be able to output to disk and use other software such as Nero to create the DVD.
Old 05-04-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

100 minutes can fit fine on a single layer disc.