Reload this Page >

best ipod FM transmitter

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

best ipod FM transmitter

Old 05-02-06, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best ipod FM transmitter

im sorry, im new to ipod and there are so many threads here and so much info i couldnt really find what i was looking for without getting confused.

im going to buy a 30GB Ipod and I wanna know which is the best FM transmitter for me to use my Ipod in the car. I dont have a stereo with an Ipod input so i have to go with a transmitter.

ive seen Irock and Griffin Itrip and something from Belkin. Im looking for the clearest best sounding device. any recommendations on what to get or what to avoid?

thanks for the help and sorry if theres another thread asking this already, i couldnt find it.
Old 05-03-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From what I have heard they all suck on some level - especially if you are in a big city. The exception is that yuo can get one hardwired into your radio somehow and it will overpower any local interference.

you may want to look into a 'real' carkit depending on what car you have.
Old 05-03-06, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I recommend the inline antenna type of modulators. Around $50 bucks (I have an audiovox one from Circuit City). NO interference and my only compliant is that the sound volume is a little low...

If you want a real transmitter, the best one I found was the Monster Cable one.
Old 05-03-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I need one that does 87.9. My wife has the iPod photo and hers goes down that low. Mine for the iPod video only goes down to 88.1 so I can't really get any good reception on it anywhere on the dial.
Old 05-03-06, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

here is the BEST one i have found.

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/...25812832140179

It doesn't charge the iPod, but has a helluva transmitter on it. Great sound and very little static...and cheap!

The manufacturer also make a version of this that hooks to your iPod via the dock connector port and charges the unit, but it is crap. It doesn't work near as well as this model.

~Jason
Old 05-03-06, 04:52 PM

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip/
Old 05-03-06, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i use the itrip as well and have been very satisfied with it.
Old 05-03-06, 09:45 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ravan
From what I have heard they all suck on some level - especially if you are in a big city. The exception is that yuo can get one hardwired into your radio somehow and it will overpower any local interference.

you may want to look into a 'real' carkit depending on what car you have.
Yeah. I tried a half dozen different ones inluding iTrip, Monster, Belkin, and the one from MacMall where you plug into the cigarette port (for power) and it transmits at only 87.9. They are all pretty useless unless you like AM quality music.

Do you by any chance have a cassette deck? A cassette adapter works 10254x better than any FM transmitter (except for the hardwired ones).
Old 05-04-06, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...58261?v=glance

Doesn't charge the iPod, but it's one powerful FM transmitter. I use it in my truck with my 60GB iPod video.
Old 05-04-06, 03:48 AM

I second the Iriver one. I live in Chicago and have had no problems getting a clear signal from this. Great product.
Old 05-04-06, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmmm...I'll have to try the cassette deck option.

For those stuck with the FM option check this thread out for some useful info on finding a good station number to use:

http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=120720

I have the Monster FM Transmitter. It's performance is anywhere from OK to downright stinking, but it is a lot better if you want to unscrew your antenna and toss it in the trunk. You get a lot less static/noise etc doing this, but if you listen to the radio on occasion along with your ipod it's not a good way to go, esp. if you listen to AM stations.
Old 05-04-06, 09:52 AM

I have the Belkin and my sister has the Iriver one. Between the two, I have to say that the Iriver is better at delivering the signals with cleaner sounds. The only advantage to the Belkin is that it can be powered by 2 AAA batteries which means you can also transmit the signal to any radio device in your house.
Old 03-04-07, 07:38 PM
Banned

Any new opinions? i'm in the market for one...and i'd like to know which one people are recommending these days.
Old 03-04-07, 09:10 PM

After research, I got a Transdock Micro. I live about ten miles North of Boston, and it works fine around there. However, when I'm driving in Boston, there's a ton of interference. It let's you tune it to any station, which is good. Seeing how you live in NYC, I'd be skeptical of any of them. They all seem to sound pretty bad in big city's.
Old 03-04-07, 10:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by benh911
After research, I got a Transdock Micro. I live about ten miles North of Boston, and it works fine around there. However, when I'm driving in Boston, there's a ton of interference. It let's you tune it to any station, which is good. Seeing how you live in NYC, I'd be skeptical of any of them. They all seem to sound pretty bad in big city's.
I won't be using it here I want to be able to use it on vacations and such.
Old 03-04-07, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
I won't be using it here I want to be able to use it on vacations and such.

In that case, I'd recommend the Transdock Micro.
Old 03-05-07, 10:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by benh911
In that case, I'd recommend the Transdock Micro.
Doesn't get very good marks on Amazon.

There are so many of these damn things that I have no idea which one to choose.
Old 03-05-07, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are a few new ones coming out at the end of March, including a new one by Monster. I would wait a little bit.

If you have to get one now, I recommend the iTrip (the dock one, I think that's what it's called). I use it in fairly big cities (Sacramento, Stockton), and it works great.

= J
Old 03-05-07, 12:46 PM
Banned

I can definitely wait. I've heard Monster sucks though.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-07, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have the iTrip for my Nano and it is just ok. It is powered by the iPod itself, and is completely portable - tried to find it again recently for my sis-in-law and couldn't find one. She went with a different iTrip and hers works much, much better than mine. I originally had the Belkin one and it was crap.
Old 03-06-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The iRiver is on sale at Woot today. You can get two for $20.

http://www.woot.com/
Old 03-06-07, 10:26 AM
Mod Emeritus

I've got a Scosche IPTRNSX FM transmitter/iPod charger. It seems to work reasonably well.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4694330

The Woot deal for today would probably be better if you don't need the charging capability.
Old 03-06-07, 10:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Palaver
The iRiver is on sale at Woot today. You can get two for $20.

http://www.woot.com/
Sold out
Old 03-06-07, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I used an iTrip for a long time and thought it was great. Then one day it up and died on me. I was going to buy another, but they no longer support transmitting on 87.9 with the newer models (Old iTrip sat on the top of the Ipod and conncted via the headphone jack and that other little connection, the newer ones connect via the dock port on the bottom).

I tried out a few and had no luck, and then I picked up the Belkin TuneBase.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=257270

Not only does it work well for me, it charges it and holds it up in a highly visible area to me, which I love. My wife got me an 80gb Ipod color for a wedding present back in October, and I love being able to see the music/CD Cover while driving.
Old 03-07-07, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dead
I've got a Scosche IPTRNSX FM transmitter/iPod charger. It seems to work reasonably well.

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/...=64951.4694330

The Woot deal for today would probably be better if you don't need the charging capability.
Forget all the other ones. This is the one to get. Reasonable reception, made even better if your car has the ability to draw in the antenna. I've tried most others that go for around $50 and they all suck. They get lousy reception. I went to the forums mentioned in this thread and everyone recommended this one from Wal-Mart. They have it hidden away in the automotive department and it costs around $20. It comes with two types of connections:

One to connect it to the ipod and charge while it plays. This one works good but you have to have the equaliser turned off and it caps the volume. You might sometimes hear a reving sound when you accelerate though, very minor however.

The other one I prefer. You plug it into the headphone jack. You put it to a reasonable volume and can even have the equaliser on and the volume goes further. There have been days where the ipod sometimes pauses put that's mostly do to the jack being sensitive to movements, nothing major.

I live in a fairly large city (Long Beach, CA) with a lot of radio signals in certain parts of town that might interfere (the Port, Downtown, Signal Hill, near the Airport) but I have had the signal die out.