Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Where can I download the free version of unrar.exe?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-02-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I need unrar but all the searches have resulted in dead links or weird filetypes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

By the way, I can dowload a file called:

unrar-free_0.0.1+cvs20060430-2_i386.deb but think that the .deb extension is just the developer's name (debian) and not sure what to do with it.

Last edited by dick_grayson; 05-02-06 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-02-06, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

.deb is a prebuilt binary for Debian based Linux distros such as Ubuntu and of course, Debian Linux.

If you want to decompress a RAR, go to www.rarlabs.com and download Winrar for Windows.
Old 05-02-06, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I have to use unrar for this since it's a .bin file. the link I downloaded the unrar from said it was for windows, but then again I don't know what I'm doing so I'll retrace my steps. Still, if there is a windows version of unrar out there (as something familiar to me, like an exe, then that would be easiest). thanks for your help.
Old 05-02-06, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Winrar has a free 40 day eval, but after that it's still works, but becomes a very mild nagware (Only nagging if you launch the program itself, but not when opening files).

For a free program I recommend http://www.7-zip.org/. It's like Winrar or Winzip, handles most compression formats and can create .zip and .7z (a more space efficient compression) files. There is a commandline version availble in the download section.

.bin files are not normally Rar files, which are usually .rar, .r01, .r02, etc. A .bin file is usually a raw binary file, it has proprietary uses, but the most mainstream use is to hold CD/DVD images using the .bin/.cue format. The format has two files a .bin file for the raw binary image and a .cue file which a small text file describing the structure of the binary data.

If it is a .bin/.cue file some programs can still use it if the .cue file is missing. You can try opening it with an disc image viewer/editor like UltraISO, it has a trial version, not sure of the limitations. Or you can mount it as a virtual CD/DVD with Daemon Tools (Get version 3.47, or don't install the search bar to avoid adware), or try burning it with a program like Nero.
Old 05-03-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wmansir
Winrar has a free 40 day eval, but after that it's still works, but becomes a very mild nagware (Only nagging if you launch the program itself, but not when opening files).

For a free program I recommend http://www.7-zip.org/. It's like Winrar or Winzip, handles most compression formats and can create .zip and .7z (a more space efficient compression) files. There is a commandline version availble in the download section.

.bin files are not normally Rar files, which are usually .rar, .r01, .r02, etc. A .bin file is usually a raw binary file, it has proprietary uses, but the most mainstream use is to hold CD/DVD images using the .bin/.cue format. The format has two files a .bin file for the raw binary image and a .cue file which a small text file describing the structure of the binary data.

If it is a .bin/.cue file some programs can still use it if the .cue file is missing. You can try opening it with an disc image viewer/editor like UltraISO, it has a trial version, not sure of the limitations. Or you can mount it as a virtual CD/DVD with Daemon Tools (Get version 3.47, or don't install the search bar to avoid adware), or try burning it with a program like Nero.

thanks you very much! I had always heard about opening the image through nero, but never understood how it could uncompress and create the setup and so on. thanks again!