Reload this Page >

WinXP installation problems

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-02-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently running Win98se and tried to upgrade to XP and do a clean install of XP. I keep getting the same errors

During the installation, I received 3 messages for files that cannot be found

crypt32.dll
dbeng.dll
oembios.bin

After bypassing those files, my system rebooted and this screen kept popping up.

STOP: C000021a (Fatal system error)
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000080 (0x00000000 0x00000000)
The system has been shutdown.
Old 05-02-06, 10:06 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Since you said you're doing a clean install of XP, you formatted the drive during the XP install process, correct?

This whole thing relates back to your network card problem, right?
Old 05-02-06, 11:33 AM

Yes I did format the hard drive but I couldn't access my E:\ Drive from dos, which is my dvd-rom drive. I could only access A and C drive.

And yes, this relates back to my network card issue.
Old 05-02-06, 01:03 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
All the times I've installed WinXP, it was a bootable CD, so you just pop the CD in the drive, hit the power button and the install process starts. Once the install screen comes up, then you format. I never had to go into dos for anything with a WinXP install. Maybe there is some other way of doing it, but I never had to. I know there might be an issue with the CD/DVD drive not being able to read a bootable CD, but normally a DVD drive is new enough so that it would be able to read the bootable WinXP CD. Oh wait, you have an upgrade CD, don't you? I hate those.

That's a bit of a stumper. I guess you could reinstall Win98, then initiate the WinXP install once you have completely reinstalled Win98. Argh, I hate upgrades.
Old 05-02-06, 02:46 PM

My dvd drives are fine. Another person here at work brought another Winxp cd so I am going to try that one.
Old 05-04-06, 09:44 AM

So I installed it and everything seems fine but what I thought was strange that on the Desktop, the only thing that was on there was the Recycling Bin. I had to make shortcuts on the desktop to My Computer and My Doucuments.

I have 256 ram and I find it is pretty choppy when I am browsing online. Would another stick of 256 take care of that?
Old 05-04-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ElementZ
So I installed it and everything seems fine but what I thought was strange that on the Desktop, the only thing that was on there was the Recycling Bin. I had to make shortcuts on the desktop to My Computer and My Doucuments.

I have 256 ram and I find it is pretty choppy when I am browsing online. Would another stick of 256 take care of that?
That's standard for XP. There's an option somewhere to make the desktop look like "classic" Windows.

256MB is a bit low for XP, an extra stick of 256 would help considerably.
Old 05-04-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

515 MB RAM should be bare minimum for Windows XP, mostly due to the huge overhead of the OS. I'd recommend at least 1 GB if you can afford it (that's why my computer has 1.5 GB of RAM. )
Old 05-04-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
That's standard for XP. There's an option somewhere to make the desktop look like "classic" Windows.

256MB is a bit low for XP, an extra stick of 256 would help considerably.

It's a theme. Simply right-click on the desktop, choose properties from the pop-up menu, then in the list of themes choose "Windows Classic" and click OK. Then, go to START, Control Panel, and in the left pane of the new window click on "Switch to Classic View". Definitely slap in as much RAM as you can as XP performs better and better as you add memory. I consider 1GB the default for a general purpose XP machine. If you're only doing web/email/word processing, 512MB will certainly do. I ran XP for several years on a P3-600MHz with 384MB (motherboard max) and it did okay, if you were a bit patient.
Old 05-04-06, 03:37 PM

Your initial CD was defective then. There may be a blemish or scratch keeping the drive from copying the files in question over to your hard drive.

As far as the desktop goes, you can do the classic desktop route, however if you wan the actual icons and not the shortcuts like you have it with the new XP them, you can do the following:

Right Click on the Desktop and select 'Properties'.
Select the 'Desktop' Tab
Click on 'Customize Desktop'
Place a checkmark on all the sections under 'Desktop icons'
Old 05-05-06, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the tips.

Any more tips on how to tweak XP to make it run more efficiently.