Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Is this a good digital camera?

Old 05-02-06, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is this a good digital camera?

Okay...I know absolutely nothing about digital cameras. Never had one before.

I need to get one, but I don't have a lot of money at the moment. I don't need the absolute best, bells and whistles digital camera, I just need a digital camera that will take pictures and allow me to view them on my computer.

Is this a good one?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1142288271492

It's only 100 bucks, and I think it has a 10 dollar rebate, so it's 90. For that price, is it a good digital camera? How many pictures could it hold on it at once? Thank you for any input you can give.
Old 05-02-06, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Only two downsides

1. no optical zoom - a feature I use more often than not

2. 90 day warranty

good points - it uses SD memory cards (very inexpensive) and it can run on AA batteries (only downside to AA's is size/weight, otherwise they are available everywhere and rechargeables are cheap)

If you can live with no optical zoon, then go for it. I would opt for a lower megapixel but 3X optical zoom if it were me on a budget. I mostly print 4x6 anyway and sometimes 8X10 (4mp is all you need these days for those prints - interpolation has gotten good)
Old 05-02-06, 12:03 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If it does not have Optical zoom (lens is the one that zooms in and out), then I think you'll regret buying this camera. Once you begin using the camera, you'll find that you need to zoom in but using digital zoom only will compromise the quality of the pictures, even if you only print 4 x 6" prints.

If you're on a tight budget but still want a decent camera, get something like this:

Kodak EasyShare C330

or

Fuji FinePix A400

I'd get the Kodak because it takes SD memory cards and also uses AA sized batteries. Get some 2000 MaH rechargebale AA sized batteries and you're good to go. Keep regular AA batteries in the case as a stand-by incase your rechargeables run out in the middle of something.

I had a Kodak CX6330 for a couple of years and I really enjoyed it. The pics were very good and the camera was such a low cost. I'm not sure about the C330 but I'd hope that it would live up to the same expectations. You could also spend $20 more and get the C340 with 5 MegaPixels. These cameras should last you for a while.
Old 05-02-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

No zoom* = no sale!

*digital zoom does not count
Old 05-02-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As others have said, I'd definitely want an optical zoom to give you a little flexibility in shooting your subjects. Digital zoom is worthless and does not count at as "actual" zoom. You will have to buy an SD card, which will add a little to the price. If you don't, it looks like you'd probably be able to take 3-5 pictures at full quality before having to download them. One other caveat, I've heard nothing but bad things about HP cameras. As for myself, I'd stick to known camera manufacturers like Kodak, Fuji, Nikon, and Canon.