Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Stupid Q of the month...transferring motherboard to a new case

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-02-06, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)

So, I bought a Dell a couple years ago and as my computer knowledge is slowly growing (somewhat), i'm slowly growning out of the case. Right now, I have three HDs inside (even though there's only space for two) and I want to add more. So I went out and bought THIS case.

Now, even though i've had it since last year, I just now got around to transferring the MB to install it in the new case. The MB is in, so are the C/DVD drives, the 3 HDs and the floppy.

However, I still have all these wires!
They're for the USB, Firewire and headphone jacks in the front...as well as the power and standby buttons and power lights.

Here's the layout for the Dell MB:

Where the red shading is, are where the connectors are empty. i'm going to assume that that's where these cords go?

Also, I noticed that the fans in this thing have the type of power connectors that the drives do...and I have no idea where to put 'em since I have no more power connectors.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-02-06, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
So, i'm doing some more searching and I find that there's a e210882 on the motherboard. There's also 0j0592 on there and a Google search directed me HERE , and while the links that some of the posters provided look kinda like my mobo, they're not the same thing.

For one thing, the FNT PNL connector has 33 pins...
Old 05-02-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

After spending three straight hours last night, I discovered I might be SOL. Seems Dell's mobo is propriatory and i'd have an easier time winning the powerball than finding out what the pins on the empty connectors are for...

sigh. Now I see why people hate companies like Dell.
Old 05-02-06, 12:21 PM
X
Administrator

Of the connectors that you don't have hooked up, you only need the POWER SW one. It will go somewhere on J9H2. Check where the current Dell's power switch is hooked up to.

The fans would go directly to your power supply but if you've run out of connectors you need to get some Y connectors. The CPU fan you show can connect in between the power supply and another device.

Overall, the best thing to do is map out where the current Dell case connectors go to and translate that to your new case.

Any more information you can give us on the Dell model/motherboard model would help. Does the motherboard have any identification?
Old 05-02-06, 12:24 PM
Admin-Thanos

If you can get a picture of the Dell motherboard with the cables plugged in, you might be able to figure out where to plug stuff. I know Dell in the past had made all those cables together in one plastic plug-type thing that would plug onto the pins on the board. You could mimic it with the individual plugs, but without a picture knowing which LED goes where, it's a tough call.
Old 05-02-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It's from a Dell Dimension 4550. As I said before, there's a E210882 on the motherboard...if there are any other markings I should be looking for, please tell me where to find 'em and i'll definitely post 'em.

THIS is what was connected to the Front Panel slot when it was in the Dell case:

Old 05-02-06, 01:11 PM
X
Administrator

Tough one with the ribbon connectors.

There are evidently several versions of this board and you're not the only one trying to put it in a new case.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win2000/1104628388
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win2000/1144714978

You can trace which lead goes to which switch/led/socket either by following the wire or using a ohmmeter. Depends on how much time you want to put into it.
Old 05-02-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by X
You can trace which lead goes to which switch/led/socket either by following the wire or using a ohmmeter. Depends on how much time you want to put into it.
Yeah, that was one of the threads I came across in my travels last night. Ohmmeter? That's definitely out of my league.