Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Sound Card to Receiver.... How?

Old 05-01-06, 08:11 PM

Sound Card to Receiver.... How?

I know that connecting my sound card to my receiver is possible, but whenever i go to a cable store there are too many options and I get confused.

I have a Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer that I want to connect to my Onkyo HT-R530, anyone know what cable I have to buy to make this connection?

Thanks!!!!
Old 05-01-06, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You need a mono minijack to RCA cable. Like this. Although they call it a 1/8 phone jack, its' the same thing. A stereo minijack to RCA might work as well. It will have 2 RCA connectors, but you only need to connect one.

The soundblaster's connector is the right most (farthest from firewire connector) orange headphone-like minijack. You have to enable digital audio from windows in order for this to work, otherwise it outputs analog audio for the subwoofer/center speakers. The Onkyo has an RCA/AV connector, orange, in the top left corner on the back and says "Digital In" above and "Coaxial" below.

Be aware that your card can only output stereo sound digitally, it has no DD5.1 encoder. It may be able to pass thru 5.1 from movies that already have 5.1 encodes (be sure to set the software DVD player to digtial or SPDIF output, otherwise it will use the regular sound output and you're soundcard will downmix to 2.0 when converting back to digital), but games and other computer sounds will only be 2.0. Check out this thread for more info about hooking up this card digitally.

Last edited by wmansir; 05-01-06 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-01-06, 11:39 PM

thanks that was exactly the info i needed.... thanks once again!!!!