Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Get a new monitor or a new TV?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-01-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need about a 20" tv for exercising. I'd like to get a flat screen, but wonder if I should get a computer monitor with s-video inputs (like what dell sells) instead of a costco flat screen special.

issue of course is speakers - but i could probably cobble something together... or maybe the 'speaker bar' that dell sells would be good.

This is really for tv usage, and the monitor capability becomes a backup if my monitor dies or I decide to go to a two monitor system sometime.

so ---- just get a costco tv, or get a monitor (that I might someday really use as a computer monitor) and throw some speakers at it???

Thoughts on pluses and minuses? It seems you can get a monitor with high resolution for about the same price as an LCD tv....
Old 05-01-06, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Obviously I'd need a vcr with tuner to hook in as well, but that's a given - i have an extra vcr sitting around.
Old 05-01-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

look around. There are LCD monitors with built-in speakers. Costco sells (or used to sell) a 21" w/speakers. They even had a model with a built-in TV tuner.