Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Compuer not using full memory

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-30-06, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my fiance's hard drive had to be wiped out and rebuilt due to massive viruses and now as a result when you start it up there is a prompt that states that it is running on 256 memory when it has 512. What happened to the rest of it? How can I get that missing half back? Thanks.
Old 04-30-06, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd check and make sure that both memory sticks are seated fully in their slots.
Old 05-01-06, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
I'd check and make sure that both memory sticks are seated fully in their slots.
We never opened the case nor has it ever been moved. Can they pop out on their own?
Old 05-01-06, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by EEz28
So my fiance's hard drive had to be wiped out and rebuilt due to massive viruses and now as a result when you start it up there is a prompt that states that it is running on 256 memory when it has 512. What happened to the rest of it? How can I get that missing half back? Thanks.
Define "rebuilt," because when I think "rebuilt" I picture components being removed and replaced---but your next post indicates that that isn't the case. Did you simply reformat the hard drive? What exactly did you do?
Old 05-01-06, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Corvin
Define "rebuilt," because when I think "rebuilt" I picture components being removed and replaced---but your next post indicates that that isn't the case. Did you simply reformat the hard drive? What exactly did you do?
Well shes the one that did it and I wasnt there nor is she here now for me to ask her, but I will assume that she somehow cleared the hard drive, used the system restore cd and began again from scratch. Now I'm not "term" savy so if that is what "reformat" means then yeah I guess she did that.

Oh yeah, and just fyi: I went to the BIOS a few days ago and looked up the memory and it says 512 ddr sdram dual channel, the comp is a dell and i dont have the model number right now.
Old 05-02-06, 10:03 PM

ok, an update for those who were losing sleep wondering how to fix my problem. When I restarted the comp again and looked at the alert message, i must have paid no attention to the line "OS install mode enabled" so what do I do? I go to BIOS and disable this which ta-da, brings the memory back to 512. Thanks for all who played.