Reload this Page >

My new laptop came in!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

My new laptop came in!

Old 04-29-06, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My new laptop came in!

My wife has been wanting a laptop and since I found out I will be flying more for work (instead of driving), I figured I'd get a new smaller laptop and give my wife my old one.

Currently I have a Dell 600m which is a 14" lappy little over 5 lbs that I have had right at three years. Very happy with it and once I get all my stuff off of it, wife will like it and get years more use out of it.

I just got in a Dell 710m which is a 12" lappy touch over 4lbs. So far I like it. The keyboard is a little different. Doesn't seem all that much smaller, but a few of the keys are in a slightly different place, so will have to get use to it. The screen is much brighter and better in every way as far as I can tell. I guess despite all my reading about the 710, I did not realize it was a WS, but that is ok.

The 710 seems a little more solid then the 600m, tho still not as solid as my work IBM x30. While there is roughly a pound difference between the two, the 710 is more compact, about the same thickness, and seems to be more difference in weight then just a poound.

I'm happy so far, but still pulling off a bunch of Dell installed software and needing to move iTunes, etc over. I picked up this 710 in it's base configuration for $720 w/no rebates, free shipping (since I'm in TX had to pay tax). I thought about dropping to a 10" screen an going over to Sony or something, but I really didn't want to spend the $1,100+ for a laptop. I also thought about going to one of the even smaller Dells, but I wanted the optical drive built in. So for the money/set up/configuration, I think the 710m is a nice lappy.

Anyone who has one want to throw some recommendations, suggestions to me on it? I kind of want the extended life battery, but then there goes my weight savings, so not sure. Will first see how long the standard battery goes.