Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Installing Airport Express on Windows network?

Old 04-29-06, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Installing Airport Express on Windows network?

I'm pretty experienced in this networking stuff, but this is just plain insane..

I just want an Airport Express to work as a part of my existing network and it refuses! I used the setup wizard, but it wont join the network.

Is there a guide to do this?

I use WEP not WPA (yeah i know, but some of the devices here cant to WPA yet) - maybe thats part of the problem?

Thanks as always!!
Old 04-29-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Connect Wirelessly
AirPort Express uses the 802.11g wireless standard to deliver blazing data rates up to 54 Mbps.(3) It supports both Macs equipped with an AirPort Extreme Card and Wi-Fi-compliant 802.11g Windows PCs, as well as Macs with the older AirPort Card and 802.11b Windows PCs. Everyone in your family can surf the web wire-free because AirPort Express provides simultaneous wireless Internet access via your DSL or cable modem for up to 10 computers(4).
Do your Windows has 802.11b or newer installed?
Old 04-29-06, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ravan
I'm pretty experienced in this networking stuff, but this is just plain insane..

I just want an Airport Express to work as a part of my existing network and it refuses! I used the setup wizard, but it wont join the network.

Is there a guide to do this?

I use WEP not WPA (yeah i know, but some of the devices here cant to WPA yet) - maybe thats part of the problem?

Thanks as always!!
are you entering the wep password in hex? your router should be able to show you what the hexidecimal version of your password is. when the setup wizard asks for your password, type in the '$' symbol followed by the hex password.
Old 04-29-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Found this on Amazon when I set up my airport express. It is a pain for us PC users, but I love having Airtunes! =)

"Took 2+ hours to get this set-up as a "client" on my existing 802.11b network - awesome product once you jump through the hurdles!...

I read other folks advice, but none of them gave me a complete A-Z for connecting to an existing network using WinXP and 802.11b. Here's my instructions borrowing certain parts from other postings (thanks, btw!)...

1. Download and install the latest version of iTunes.

2. Physically connect your new AirPort Express to your wireless router with an Ethernet cable. Plug in the AirPort Express into the wall, and wait until the LED turns solid green (up to a few minutes).

3. Insert the CD-ROM that came with the product and run the Install program on your computer.

4. Once installed, start the "AirPort Admin Utility" for Windows. [Note: do NOT use the "AirPort Express Assistant" AT ALL as this software will lead to a dead end if you're trying to connect to your existing non-Apple AirPort Basestation network (eg; this tool doesn't work if you have Netgear, Linksys, Belkin, etc).]

5. Select your new Airport Express name in the Base Station Chooser list and then click "Configure" in the bottom right corner.

6. Click on the "AirPort" tab. In the "AirPort Network" section, select "Use base station to: Join an Existing Wireless Network".

7. Type in your existing wireless "Network Name" [note: if you don't know this, in WinXP go to "View Network Connections > View available wireless networks" and find the name of the wireless network you are using. Note this name and how it is spelled, as it is case sensitive = you have to enter it just like this in the AirPort set-up.]. If you have security on your wireless network, click "Security" and enter in the correct key(s), which you can get from your router's home page [note: find the IP address for this in your router's documentation].

8. Change the password to something you'll easily remember. It doesn't let you use the default "public" password.

9. Click on the "Music" tab at the top of the screen, and name your iTunes speaker system. For example, "Living Room".

10. Click "Update" in the lower right-hand corner. Your AirPort Express will be restarted, and the LED should turn solid green again after a few minutes.

11. Go to http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/ and download the latest firmware update for your AirPort Express (eg; AirPort Express Firmware 6.1.1 for Windows). Run this software to update the firmware. Once the installation is complete, your Airport Express will again restart and the LED will change to yellow then back to green after a few minutes.

12. Unplug the Ethernet cable and relocate the AirPort express where you'd like, plugging in your audio jack and plugging the unit back into the wall.

13. Turn on your audio receiver, make sure it's connected to the jack you just plugged into the Airport Express.

13. Open iTunes. In the bottom right, select your new Airport Express speaker name (eg; Living Room) as the speakers to use.

14. Select your song, press play, and there you have it.

15. Happy AirTuning...

Sure wish Apple would just grow up and post these instructions on their own Web site."
Old 04-29-06, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No 802.11b - all G here! The network, the strings..

I'll try the $ thing - I did get it set up earlier, but it was as if the network was wrong so maybe it was because i didnt have a $? Whats the purpose of the $ ? force it to read the pwd as hex not alfa?
Old 04-30-06, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmm. I went through some of the steps earlier (where i got stuck before I posted here of course) - now the base station doesnt show up in the list... Its hardwired to the router and on..

is there some factory reset option?
Old 04-30-06, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Found factory reset - did the above ($ not needed actually there is a HEX dropdown selection for the wep key) and its playin'!!

Thanks a lot everyone!

now to figure out how to make my differebt citunes installs read from a network share and/or sync between eachother