Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology
View Poll Results: Which do you have /prefer?
XM
48.33%
Sirius
51.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

XM or Sirius?

Old 04-27-06, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM or Sirius?

Just wanted to see who wins the popular vote. This may or may not influence a future purchase.
Old 04-27-06, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

XM because I like the deeper playlists. I did a trial of Sirius and it wasn't as hit oriented as some say but it was a bit too much for my tastes. Either is a great choice.
Old 04-27-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

xm for mlb.
Old 04-28-06, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

XM for XM2GO, even better now with the new Pioneer Inno out. I have the Pioneer Airware which has been great.
Old 04-28-06, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tried both, prefer XM. I like the MLB games and IMO the music channels are a little better for my tastes. You would be happy with either though.
Old 04-28-06, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

XM Radio
Old 04-28-06, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sirius....
Old 04-28-06, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

XM, deeper playlists. I don't care about sports or shock jocks so those are a non-issue.
The only 'name' on Sirius I would like to listen to is Mojo Nixon.
The inno does look really cool, I just wish the memory were expandable/bigger.

I think they both have free online trials, check 'em out [though at least XM's online doesn't fully represent what's on the radio--there are some non-online channels, and some online-only.]
Old 04-28-06, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk God

xm for better hardware, mlb, more ncaa choices, and definitly the deeper playlists
Old 04-28-06, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

XM definitely. Tech is better, playlists are better, talk is better.
Old 04-28-06, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

their both better then FM....im into classic rock and for that sirius wins hands down...
Old 04-28-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Listen to both of their "3 day free trials." I did, and chose Sirius. They don't have anough HIT stations, but I don't listen to that anyway. Add being able to listen to both team's home broadcast for football games and I was hooked.

Sirius was also cheaper when I got it (when ya add on the "pay channels" XM offfered) but i think they are the same now.

Stern and Playboy Channel were good adds, but ya can only take so much of that. Get it for the music! And as others have said, you'll be happy with either one and wonder why ya didn't do it sooner.
Old 04-28-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sirius: HOWARD STERN, baby!

If you don't like the King, it's worth it for Little Steven's Underground Garage. If you get one though that has a refund, don't expect it in "6-8 weeks". I've been waiting over 5 months now!

If you want the "hits", listen to FM!
Old 04-28-06, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sirius def...I'm not a fan of baseball on the radio, so I have no need for XM

Also HOWARD!!!
Old 04-28-06, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went with XM due to some promotions that were in effect. I think some members have a point about XM having a deeper playlist but I have listened to both and you cant go wrong either way. Look for which is offering better deals on the receivers or other promos for free service, free account setup etc. Some users are going for one key driver (ie: Stern on Sirius or XM for baseball) but if its music you want, its six and one half dozen of the other.
Old 04-29-06, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sirius

Commercial free music channels
Stern
NFL
NHL
NBA
Nascar
Playboy
NCAA Basketball & FootBall
NPR
BBC
Martha Stewart
Maxim

XM

Opie & Anthony
Oprah
Weather Channel
FIFA
IndyCar
PGA
MLB
Sporting News

I give the edge in content to Sirius. As for the music channels. Sirius channels sound like actual radio stations with live DJs and what not. Where as XMs music channels, while they do have deeper play lists seem like they just hit the shuffle button and leave. Not to mention some of XMs music channels now have commercials.

XM still has better hardware though. Although the gap is closing.

You can compare the channel lineups.

XM Channel Linuep

Sirius Channel Lineup
Old 04-29-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

XM built into my Acura, so thats what I have.. for $7 / month its not too bad
Old 04-29-06, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My friend has XM, I have Sirius. I prefer Sirius' selection. And, I'm talking about actual music. I don't listen to say Howard Stern.
Old 04-29-06, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Clarification on XM's now non-commercial-free channels:
Yes, XM now [as of Monday after Easter I think] has some music channels that have commercials. Four, I believe. Clear Channel invested a decent sum of money in XM's beginning days, and due to a recent mediated decision, it was decided that XM had to 'give' four channels to Clear CHannel, to let them program and air commercials on [There's surely more legalities behind the scenes, but IANAL.]
Anyway, XM gave CC four channels [I believe it's four] which do have commercials [though fewer than FM channels]. XM knew that would hurt in the 'commercial free' realm, so here's what they did:
* gave CC the channels.
* moved them to a different place in the lineup
* added new channels, XM-programmed, that play the same type of stuff as the CC channels.....but with no commercials.
* brought back a channel that had been removed, and added a few more [total of 10]
* advertise, truthfully, "the most commercial free music channels in satrad".

Here's the details on XM's site about what happened to the lineup.
http://www.xmradio.com/lineup/index.jsp
"On March 1, we added two new commercial-free music channels, Big Tracks - XM 49 devoted to Classic Rock from the late 70s onward, and XM Chill - XM 84 devoted to Chill music. On Monday, April 17, XM added 8 more commercial-free music channels. The new channels include:...."
"This new category will also include Clear Channel programmed music channels Nashville - XM 11, Kiss - XM 21, Mix - XM 22, Sunny - XM 24, plus WSIX - XM 161 (launching soon) with acclaimed country personality Gerry House live from Nashville. Please note that Clear Channel will start carrying commercials on these music channels in May, so they have been grouped separately from XM's 69 commercial-free music channels on our new channel guide."

so I'm slightly wrong, they didn't move the channel numbers, but they grouped them separately on the channel guide.

DJ's, yes, Sirius has more active Dj's based on what I've heard. XM's are not very obvious and take a back seat to the music, though there are themed shows where the Dj's take a more active role. Which way is "better" is purely personal preference--in my case, I have heard more than enough witty banter from idiotic FM morning jocks to last me a long time; if I want talk, I turn to a talk channel.

But as has been said before, either is light years better than FM, and if you get one, decide you want to try the other, you could probably resell your hardware and recoup some cost. Or do what a lot of people do, and get both [of course, you need dual hardware then, I don't think there is, or is likely to be in the near future, a radio that recieves both XM and Sirius.]

Last edited by tonyc3742; 04-29-06 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-29-06, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sirius.
I don't know if XM is good or bad, but i have no reason to even bother trying it because Sirius is just THAT good.

My favorites are:
Howard 100
Octane 20
Lithium 24
Sports 126 in the afternoons for At the Races & Beyond

Last edited by Maxflier; 06-15-07 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-30-06, 09:40 AM

XM for Squizz, Ethel, Lucy, NHL coverage and of course, my boys.. Opie and Anthony...
XM has better technology... sirius is good, if you like having fishfinder-looking equipment on your dash, and dont want portable units that can do LIVE radio, not record/dock and listen

oh yeah.. and howie is a washed up hack, tell 'em fred
Old 04-30-06, 10:27 AM
Political Exile

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by oppie1
XM for Squizz, Ethel, Lucy, NHL coverage and of course, my boys.. Opie and Anthony...
XM has better technology... sirius is good, if you like having fishfinder-looking equipment on your dash, and dont want portable units that can do LIVE radio, not record/dock and listen

oh yeah.. and howie is a washed up hack, tell 'em fred
I own XM, and when I hear comments like that it actually makes me want to switch to Sirius.
Old 04-30-06, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I own XM, and when I hear comments like that it actually makes me want to switch to Sirius.
by all means go ahead

to quote a great philosopher, lil jimmy norton

"flush your xm radio down the toilet, buy a sirius, and go f**k your mother"

Last edited by oppie1; 04-30-06 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-30-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Thrush
Sirius

Commercial free music channels
Stern
NFL
NHL
NBA
Nascar
Playboy
NCAA Basketball & FootBall
NPR
BBC
Martha Stewart
Maxim

XM

Opie & Anthony
Oprah
Weather Channel
FIFA
IndyCar
PGA
MLB
Sporting News

I give the edge in content to Sirius. As for the music channels. Sirius channels sound like actual radio stations with live DJs and what not. Where as XMs music channels, while they do have deeper play lists seem like they just hit the shuffle button and leave. Not to mention some of XMs music channels now have commercials.

XM still has better hardware though. Although the gap is closing.

You can compare the channel lineups.

XM Channel Linuep

Sirius Channel Lineup
Actually, XM has Nascar right now, but Sirius gets it next season.
Old 04-30-06, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I use XM and love it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.