Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology
View Poll Results: Which do you have /prefer?
XM
48.33%
Sirius
51.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

XM or Sirius?

Old 08-11-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Oh, okay. Squizz is probably the closest analog to Octane then [and I have no idea where they come up with these channel names...], though those bands were played on Ethel a few times too [Ethel leans more toward 'popular alternative', which I guess is sort of any oxymoron].
Old 08-12-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts
I have both, but there's no question that if I had to choose one, I'd pick XM. Three reasons: MLB, the NHL and Home Ice (24 hours of hockey talk just rocks), and Cinemagic, my favorite music station that Sirius doesn't have anything similar to.
Old 12-15-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Alert:

I'm looking to buy one of these as a gift, and from my brief preliminary research, it seems like XM is the slamdunk choice (er ... homerun is probably more accurate, considering), but I wanted to verify with the experts.

The two most likely programming desires for this will be big band era music and Braves games. XM has a 40s station and the MLB package. Check.

He needs something portable that can be used in a car or indoors or walking around town. From what I've read, the Stilettos are very hit or miss with reception when compared to the XM alternatives (Inno, Helix). Check.

So, I guess my questions to the experts are 1) am I interpreting this correctly and 2) is MLB something expected to remain with XM for some time? And if you have an opinion on the matter, 3) Inno or Helix or other? For reference, he's not a power user. He just needs it to work without hassle.

Thanks for any help!

das
Old 12-15-06, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
The "deeper playlist on XM" thing is, at this point, a myth.
Sirius advertises 500,000 songs, while XM's library is 2,000,000
Old 12-15-06, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by das Monkey
Newbie Alert:

I'm looking to buy one of these as a gift, and from my brief preliminary research, it seems like XM is the slamdunk choice (er ... homerun is probably more accurate, considering), but I wanted to verify with the experts.

The two most likely programming desires for this will be big band era music and Braves games. XM has a 40s station and the MLB package. Check.

He needs something portable that can be used in a car or indoors or walking around town. From what I've read, the Stilettos are very hit or miss with reception when compared to the XM alternatives (Inno, Helix). Check.

So, I guess my questions to the experts are 1) am I interpreting this correctly and 2) is MLB something expected to remain with XM for some time? And if you have an opinion on the matter, 3) Inno or Helix or other? For reference, he's not a power user. He just needs it to work without hassle.

Thanks for any help!

das
XM has MLB for (I believe) 10 years.

Inno and Helix are the same radio, just farmed out to different manufacturers.

XM has a 40's channel, AND Franks Place, which plays the popular standards...so it will spann from the crooner 30' and 40's to Buble'
Old 12-15-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the help.

Frank's Place? Nice! I missed that when scrolling through the list (buried in the Jazz/Blues section). And if I ever get to borrow it, I'd be all over Cinemagic.

das
Old 12-16-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 170 Posts
I'm also looking to jump into the satellite radio in the new year since I'm now driving more than an hour each way to go to work. I'm leaning towards Sirius based on my best friend comments and experiences. Unfortunately, he's stuck with the Canadian stations.

However, when he called Sirius Canada customer service to inquire about the lifetime subscription, the customer service person told him that if a Canadian subscriber opts to go with the lifetime option, you can get the US channels from them instead of the Canadian ones by giving you a fake US address. Has anybody heard anything about this? And this was coming straight from a Canadian Sirius Customer Service rep. I'm wondering if this is true because I would love to have the additional Latin channels that the US Sirius has since I don't want the additional French channels that Canadians get.
Old 12-16-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you're into talk and sports radio, I would go with Sirius rather than XM. Sirius has the NFL, NBA and now NASCAR.
Old 12-16-06, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 170 Posts
I like the NFL but I want the radio more for the music. The genres that I'm into are Latin, 80's, R&B, Old School and recent music which I believe they are pretty much similar between Sirius and XM.
Old 06-14-07, 01:38 PM

I came to this thread trying to decide which to get, but with the poll at deadlock tie lol..doesn't help my case. I guess i might as well flip a coin. I read however that Sirius had a lifetime subscription for $499. Is that still in effect? Basically be free after 4 years or so. Would the merger affect that at all?
Old 06-14-07, 10:52 PM

Lifetime subscriptions are only for the life of the radio, not your lifetime. They can be transfered for a fee if you decide to upgrade to a newer model radio.
A merger will not effect a lifetime subscription.
Old 06-14-07, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dont know what satrad will look like in 4 years, so a lifetime sub would be meaningless to me....could be just a premium version of terrestrial by then
Old 06-15-07, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had XM and switched to Sirius for Howard Stern. Opie and Anthony are completely annoying hacks.

As for music, XM was better I think. XM also has Air America which I miss but Al Franken isn't on anymore so not a big deal.

Sirius' 80's station "1st Wave" is totally lame. Someone at Sirius must think that "New Wave" only meant Depeche Mode, OMD and other shit synth bands.
Old 06-15-07, 11:12 AM

XM for the MLB, Big Ten, and a few more Talk/Sports Talk radio channels.
Old 06-15-07, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you like sports other than baseball, Sirius is better. If you like music, XM is better.

Except for Sirius 24. If XM would copy that station, I would be very happy.
Old 06-15-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 198 Posts
You should have tried out Ron and Fez CRM114. I used to listen to O&A, but now I have XM basically for them. I listen to the music, but I couldn't give up Ron and Fez even if O&A were fired. They take a while to get used to, but they are much less abrasive, and I find them a lot funnier.
Old 06-15-07, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by DamingR
If you like sports other than baseball, Sirius is better. If you like music, XM is better.

Except for Sirius 24. If XM would copy that station, I would be very happy.
The nhl will only be on xm starting this fall.
Old 06-15-07, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Stern = Sirius
Old 06-15-07, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
You should have tried out Ron and Fez CRM114. I used to listen to O&A, but now I have XM basically for them. I listen to the music, but I couldn't give up Ron and Fez even if O&A were fired. They take a while to get used to, but they are much less abrasive, and I find them a lot funnier.
Ron & Fez are the only reason that I'm an XM subscriber.
Old 06-17-07, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts
Whats the best portable XM unit for the car? I see Best Buy has one for $40 and I may go that route. Do I need to have an external antenna hooked up to my car?
Old 06-18-07, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get an FM Direct Adapter installed if you're going to use one in the car.

= J
Old 06-20-07, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by oppie1
XM for Squizz, Ethel, Lucy, NHL coverage and of course, my boys.. Opie and Anthony...
XM has better technology... sirius is good, if you like having fishfinder-looking equipment on your dash, and dont want portable units that can do LIVE radio, not record/dock and listen

oh yeah.. and howie is a washed up hack, tell 'em fred
Cool...I guess you didn't smash your radio...or cancel

Bbbboys
Old 06-20-07, 04:32 AM

XM's rock stations suck...they are named after I Love Lucy Characters?? LAME. Sirius is the way to go.
Old 06-20-07, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Sirius for me.

Stern
Bubba
Buzzsaw
Hard Attack
The Punk Channel
BBC Radio 1
Old 06-20-07, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Dango727
Ron & Fez are the only reason that I'm an XM subscriber.
Same here. I didn't dump my radio when Opie and Anthony got suspended, and I actually miss being able to listen to Ron and Fez in the morning.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.