Reload this Page >

USB Hub - powered or not?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-25-06, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Kensington 7 port USB Hub that can function with or without using a power adapter. Will allowing the hub to get power from the PC affect the PC negatively in any way? Or is it better for the hub to use its own power source.
Old 04-25-06, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would run the hub powerless until USB devices start to fail.
Old 04-25-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have found that the only time I need to use the power source that came with the USB Hub is when I plug in things which require more power than needed by what is furnished by the Hub itself. For example - I have a 512 MB San-Disk Flash Drive and it won't work without using the external power source with the Hub, but so far everything else I own works just fine without the external power source. There was some information which came with the Hub which said something like "the power source is not needed except for devices which require more than 5 milliamps or power" (not an exact quote).
Old 04-25-06, 08:47 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd do what zuffy said.

My USB hub says that it can be self-powered, but so far, everything I plug in requires power (iPod Nano, 1GB flash drive, external HD).
Old 04-25-06, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Funny, i just picked up a cheap USB hub for my girlfriend's laptop which only has 2 ports. Safe to say, it couldn't power any of the devices i want to connect, so i'm going to need to purchase a powered hub.