Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

How long did it take your iPod to be serviced?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-22-06, 10:58 PM
Li

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My iPod (video) has developed a problem. Once it goes into sleep mode, it won't respond unless reset. Of course, they're going to charge me a $30 "shipping and handling fee" to get it serviced... What I wanted to know is, has anyone had their iPod serviced and how'd it go? Obviously it depend on the problem, but I'm just wondering if it's likely going to be a month before I see it again?
Old 04-23-06, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

my 4th gen 40 gig recentley died...it took about a week to get a refurbished one. not sure if that helps or not.
Old 04-24-06, 08:42 AM

Is there a nearby Apple store you can just bring it in to? Might not save any time but at least save the s/h fee.

In Columbus, OH:
http://www.apple.com/retail/easton/week/20060423.html
Old 04-25-06, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dleedlee
Is there a nearby Apple store you can just bring it in to? Might not save any time but at least save the s/h fee.

In Columbus, OH:
http://www.apple.com/retail/easton/week/20060423.html
i didnt pay s/h. apple sent me a postage paid box to send it to them in. much easier than going to the apple store and standing in line...then of course they will check it even though you know its dead. 1 hour later you are leaving the store. then again i can ship stuff from work so i dont have to deal with the dhl drop off place either.
Old 04-25-06, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Did somebody say serviced ?

Old 04-25-06, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I service my iPod every day.
Old 04-26-06, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The $29 fee is more of a "processing" fee. Even if you took it into the store, they'll charge you for it. However, if they notice the problem right there in the store, they'll usually swap it out for you right away (or it might take a few days if it's an older iPod). If not, they'll run battery/hardware tests (which usually take 72 hours).

If you have the AppleCare Protection Plan on the iPod, they waive the $29 fee anytime you have an issue with your iPod and need it replaced.
Old 05-01-06, 05:40 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Across the Hudson [email protected]: Hoboken. LET'S GO YANKS!
It took literally a week: I dropped of the DHL box on Saturday and the next Saturday I got it back.

However, it doesn't seem that they did anything. My issue is intermittent, so hard to diagnose. Hopefully they did fix something, otherwise I have to return it once more. TG I have the AppleCare Protection Plan.
Old 05-02-06, 08:34 PM
Li

Well, now my iPod's completely dead. Won't respond to to reseting it. I guess I'm just going to buy the Procetion Plan for the extra $30 as this thing has been giving me problems from the start...