Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Mouse pointer issues.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Mouse pointer issues.

Old 04-22-06, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mouse pointer issues.

This may not be explained very well, but my PC has started to act up with some problems with the mouse pointers. The normal select pointer (the arrow) will look okay, but when it changes to the link select pointer (the hand), in addition to the hand, there are a bunch of horizontal lines about the size of an icon drawn over it. Changing the mouse pointer scheme will only bring up new problems. The issue will affect different pointers with different schemes. I know this seems like a minor problem, but it's really annoying. Also I've noticed that the text and images on the Windows login screen is blurry and messed up now. Changing video drivers brings mixed results. The newest Catalyst drivers seem to make it worse, going so far as to mess up some, but not all, of the desktop icons (3 or 4 vertical lines through them).

I never had this problem before until recently. I had a Radeon 9000 pro that never had these issues, no matter what driver I used/tested. Then it started showing up any driver I installed, other than the default driver that came with XP (pre-SP1). I thought maybe the card was going, so I just bought a Radeon 9600 and the issue still remains. I think it's a driver issue, but I'm not sure. Maybe a conflict with a program? Has anyone even heard of this problem? Couldn't find anything Googling it.
Old 04-22-06, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It could be the AGP socket gone bad or dirty, I'm not sure. You could also try use another monitor if you have one handy.
Old 04-22-06, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the reply! I'm pretty sure it's not the monitor, since this started up with the old monitor. I'll give the slot a cleaning. I was considering doing a reinstall of Windows, but that's probably not it either since it's been done a few times already and the problem keeps coming back.