Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Need help choosing a power supply

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need help choosing a power supply

Old 04-18-06, 10:30 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,092
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help choosing a power supply

Does anyone have suggestions for an efficient and quiet power supply?

I'll be running an AMD 64 x2 3800+, Radeon x1800GTO, MSI K8N Neo4 or an Asus A8N5X.
Old 04-18-06, 11:07 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
McHawkson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: America Empire
Posts: 14,752
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check this link:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=462516
Old 04-19-06, 02:37 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,092
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was hoping for some specific suggestions. I was looking at the Thermaltake TR2 W0070 ATX 430W Power Supply 115/230 V.
Old 04-19-06, 03:02 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 16,173
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Absolute Zero
Thermaltake TR2 .
I am not a fan of their products. Look at anything made by Antec - 400W should do, but 450W would be safer.
Old 04-19-06, 07:39 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 2,707
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Absolute Zero
Does anyone have suggestions for an efficient and quiet power supply?
I favor the Seasonic S-12 series. Quality, quiet supplies.
Do yourself a favor and check out http://www.silentpcreview.com/
They do quality in-depth power supply reviews.
Old 04-19-06, 08:17 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,603
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't buy a Thermaltake. And Antec is not recommended either.

IMO, PC Power & Cooling is the only choice currently for a reliable PSU. For you I think the 510 series would be easily sufficient and plenty. PCP&C are the only guys I know of who test their PSUs at real operating temps, not at cooler temps.

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/home/
Old 04-19-06, 09:01 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 16,173
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PC Power & Cooling does make excellent PSU's

However, please show me one professional review that claims Antec makes poor quality power supplies.
Old 04-19-06, 10:50 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,092
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4KRG
PC Power & Cooling does make excellent PSU's

However, please show me one professional review that claims Antec makes poor quality power supplies.

How are the NeoHE series?
Old 04-19-06, 11:34 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,603
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4KRG
PC Power & Cooling does make excellent PSU's

However, please show me one professional review that claims Antec makes poor quality power supplies.
Define professional review. We have very few professional reviews on PSUs out there. But I'll show you what I would look at if I was reviewing these things. For example:

http://www.antec.com/specs/Neo480_spe.html


MTBF: 80,000 hours at 25íC

That means the PSU, running at a whopping 25C, will give you 80,000 hours life on average. I've built computers for a while (building one right now for myself) and one thing I've learned is that no friggin' PC case is 25C all the time. Maybe in winter. With the PC case open. In summer? Holy crap. This is when most people's PSUs crap out.

1) PCP&C rates their PSUs tested at 50C. That's twice as hot. As a PSU gets hotter, it's wattage decreases. So actually, you're getting a PSU from Antec that will probably last only half as long as what they say. So, that Antec 480W is not really 480W. It's only about 240W under stressed load, believe it or not.

2) And Antec's PG Delay specs are really interesting. They say 100-500ms. That's a joke. It's such a large margin it's not even funny. You want a constant PG Delay. PG Delay is how much time the PSU needs to convert from AC to DC to send the computer system. The difference between the time you turn on your computer and the time power gets to your pc, is PG Delay. So, with a varying PG Delay, it's indicative of a varying current flowing through your PSU and your PC. You don't want varying currents. You want consistent clean current going to your computer.

You get what you pay for. But the problem is, when you pay cheap, you can damage your pc components, especially your hard drives. Usually the hard drives go first. Unexplained disk errors, even Event ID 51 errors.

For $200, the best PSU which will last you a while and is honest with its wattage, is the 510 ASL. Almost 85% of pc users would fall into this category. Dual-processor mobo, SLi video, then we're talking about 850W to 1KW PSUs from PCP&S.

In fact, I'd jump on a refurbished PCP&C PSU rather than a new Antec or Thermaltake.

This is just my opinion, but I'm in the field of using these things and I've experienced the bad power supplies because I didn't know what was going on. Well, now I do.

Now that I got that off my chest, I will say an inexpensive PSU can be a good choice. However, you will be playing Russian Roulette with your computer components. The amount of power might be enough, but the quality of the PSU could be so inferior, you could have issues with other hardware. That's the big caveat with these hyped PSUs.
Old 04-20-06, 10:17 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 16,173
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure, what does professional mean. hmmm - I will even go so far as to say ANY review done by a web site that I would recognize. Meaning it is fairly mainstream

For example

Tomshardware
anandtech
extremeoverclocking
silentpcreview
hardwarecentral
sharkyextreme
etc
etc
etc
etc

What I don't want are rantings of some random person posted on a forum

I never said Antec PSU's were the best every made, however they are damn good, very well built, under rated for output and will provide the proper performance for 99% of people that build their own machines.

IMO you are being a little too anal about the spec sheet and not realizing how the specs translate into real life performance and longevity.
Old 04-20-06, 10:47 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,973
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PC Power and Cooling makes excellent units but they're not in the cheap department and you can only get them from their online site in many cases (pun not intended).
Old 04-20-06, 08:20 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,603
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4KRG,

You call my post a rant. Interesting. But anyway, I thought I would give some info here. Take it or leave it. It's no big deal to me.

RayChuang,

Newegg has them for sale. A $200 PSU is not that expensive. People spend a few hundred on graphics cards, CPUs, mobos, memory, so why shouldn't a PSU be a factor as well.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 04-20-06 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-20-06, 09:20 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 16,173
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<--- this implies a poking jab in the form of comedy - sorry you missed the humor.

But please, show me one "entity" (other than some single individual post on a forum) that agrees with you that Antec is crap.

The best way I can describe this entity would be a something like PC magazine, C-net, or a web site similar to Tomshardware.

Thermaltake is crap - no arguement here. Antec on the other hand is perfectly fine in my book and any web site / review I have ever read has agreed. The DOZENS of hard core gamers I know (that I play with on a regular basis) would agree as well as most of the them use Antec supplies in their SLI setups with dual 7800's
Old 04-20-06, 10:23 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,092
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4KRG
Thermaltake is crap - no arguement here. Antec on the other hand is perfectly fine in my book and any web site / review I have ever read has agreed. The DOZENS of hard core gamers I know (that I play with on a regular basis) would agree as well as most of the them use Antec supplies in their SLI setups with dual 7800's

So what would your Antec reccomendation be?
Old 04-20-06, 10:34 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,603
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I think my humormeter needs to be charged today.

Maybe I overemphasized Antec's quality or lack there of. I'm sure some of them are good PSUs for the money, and so forth. Forums often give more information than the actual review and sometimes spawn the reviews of the website. And in this case, I'm not going to get into providing a website review. So, feel free to win this argument.

But, I will say silentpcreview is one of the better websites. They even say a PSU loses about 9W for every degree over 25C. So, just from that info, do the math on your 25C PSUs you guys are buying. A 500W is actually 500W - 225W (25x9) when compared to a PCP&S PSU. Sure pay $100 for a relatively "good" PSU from Antec or whoever, but I'd rather spend another $100 for a similar wattage model from PCP&S which will certainly provide cleaner power and be more reliable.
Old 04-21-06, 10:27 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 16,173
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Polizei - I am not even sure what the argument is

PC power and cooling makes an excellent top rated power supply - we agree here 100%. I was using these power supplies when I use to build Netware 3 servers from the ground up and cost wasn't much of an issue when compared to reliability needs.

Antec - makes a damn good power supply for the money and they come recommended by just about everyone but you.

If your argument is *NEVER* put an Antec PSU in a machine because you feel they are crap - I disagree and I can back my disagreement up with tons of 'reviews' (I agree with you that some of the reviewers aren't even worth reading, but many are) that all agree with each other.

I don't care to 'win' - I just care that someone reading this thread doesn't get the wrong impression about Antec and will continue to do their own research. IMO there is no winning on a forum, there is merely a spattering of opinions and some people will take either side on their own judgement.


Absolute Zero - I actually like the NEO series, the 480w that DVD P linked to above is a very nice supply. Probably a little pricey though. Look at the True Power 480 for $72

http://www.antec-inc.com/specs/TPII480_spe.html

http://www.directron.com/tpii480.html

For what you are running, the TP 430 is enough $63

http://www.antec-inc.com/specs/TPII430_spe.html

http://www.directron.com/tpii430.html
Old 04-22-06, 07:46 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 4,030
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antec has a good reputation, that's for sure.

But if you want to go the PC Power and Cooling route, may I suggest:



A kilowatt of power for a reasonable $489.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.