Reload this Page >

Quick cable internet router question...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-17-06, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have cable internet on one pc, which is equipped with a firewall.

I occasionally fix up spyware-mangled computers for other people, and that requires accessing the internet to run various scans, get updates, etc. Rather disconnect the cable from my pc and connect it to the temp unit - which I have done - I've thought about picking up a cheapo cable router so I'm not monopolizing our main family pc and having to remove the net connectivity.

Are these units fairly easy to configure?
Old 04-17-06, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very easy to configure. The only thing I HAD to do when I setup my Linksys router was change my registered MAC address w/ the cable company. I had to use internet explorer to get the automatic prompt to come up to do that. Basically if you havent done this when swapping different computers on and off your cable modem then its not something you will have to worry about. Most routers come with a quick setup program that make it really easy.
Old 04-20-06, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I have my new router hooked up, and it works fine. But the second computer I have connected is just a temporary situation, as I'm trying to fix up some spyware issues.

Once I'm done, and I return the second PC to its owner, is there any harm leaving the router connected on just one PC? Or should I disconnect?

And if I do, do I need to uninstall the software, etc?

thx
Old 04-20-06, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd leave it in ... it acts as a half-assed firewall and will help keep you safe from many attacks.