Reload this Page >

XP Home Edition Authentification Issue

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-17-06, 10:38 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, after about 6 months of messing with my computerís BIOS and assorted other menu screens that Iíve never seen before, I got it to accept an OS.

I bought a copy of Windows XP Home Edition at a slight discount. Although it was brand new, it had been assigned to a processor that I also purchased. My intent was to load it onto my existing processor.

My problem is that while it came (factory sealed) with the authentification code (this is a 12 Ė 13 digit code that comes on a sticker that Iím supposed to put on my computer) it didnít come with the 25 digit code that you need to activate the OS.

Is there a way I can access a site to get this 25 digit code using my autho-code that came with the purchase?

Do I need to find my receipt and go back to the store or is there some kind of MS support for this?
Old 04-18-06, 01:09 PM
Banned

Yup. Went to the store last night. The autho code is on the fucking shrink wrap. If I could have gotten my computer to accept the OS when I bought it, I could have dug it out of the trash. Oh well, another $100 coaster.

(At least I know I can get my computer running for another $100. That's at least cheaper than the $300 I was willing to spend for a new tower and motherboard.)
Old 04-18-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why is the "autho" on shrink wrap?? They should know we rip the shrink wrap and toss in trash.
Old 04-18-06, 01:34 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kudama
Yup. Went to the store last night. The autho code is on the fucking shrink wrap. If I could have gotten my computer to accept the OS when I bought it, I could have dug it out of the trash. Oh well, another $100 coaster.
At least call Microsoft and see if they can help you out.
Old 04-18-06, 02:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by McHawkson
Why is the "autho" on shrink wrap?? They should know we rip the shrink wrap and toss in trash.
Itís on the shrink wrap because itís an OS thatís supposed to ship with a computer coming from the distributor. I guess they load these onto their product in an assembly line fashion and discard the wrap. Thatís why they had to license it to a cheap processor to comply with this whole deal. Itís above board and cheaper.

I saw the little sticker. It looks like a quarter size version of the certificate of authenticity that usually ships with the product. On one hand itís my bad for not noticing, but hell, the thing came with a book as if it was meant for consumers. Also, what if your computer gets spiked to the point where you do have to wipe your OS. Youíre shit outta luck if you bought from this ďdistributorĒ.

Itís just strange. I will take your advice and call, X.