Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Input on Building New Machine (Video Cards)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-14-06, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay guys/girls here is what my problem is. i have to choose between ati dual x1900 or nvidia 7900. now if i go with ati it will be the cross fire 3200 chipset and nvidia of course will be the nf4 set. so here is my real problem both graphics cards are bad ass and running two of them is going to be super bad ass, but i really don't know which way to turn. i've been reading a lot of reviews and get the fact that in raw power ati wins, but which has better during gameplay and other 3d apps. seeing as the cards are around $500 each for either ati or nvidia all the input is welcome. and if you have one of the setups how does it rank in 3d mark.
Old 04-14-06, 02:58 AM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How often do you upgrade? Now seems like a good time to hold off, unless you upgrade yearly anyhow. With HDMI looming in the near future (and needed for any HD-DVD or Blu-Ray playing), waiting might become the best option. If you upgrade often enough though, none of this matters to you.

I don't know enough about gaming, but for DVD upscaling/de-interlacing (and H.264 decoding), I prefer nVidia to ATI.
Old 04-14-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mbs
How often do you upgrade? Now seems like a good time to hold off, unless you upgrade yearly anyhow. With HDMI looming in the near future (and needed for any HD-DVD or Blu-Ray playing), waiting might become the best option. If you upgrade often enough though, none of this matters to you.

I don't know enough about gaming, but for DVD upscaling/de-interlacing (and H.264 decoding), I prefer nVidia to ATI.
every 2 to 3 years for upgrading, thinking of HD-DVD now brings warm fuzzy to me, but then thinking about the wait till the technology comes down to a normal people price like you, bob across the street, and jim the high school kid who works at the gas station all have it is another thing. anyway why do you like the h.264 for nVidia better? is there some difference in how clear it is? thanks for the input.
Old 04-14-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Building a gaming rig, there's no doubt IMO that one should go with Athlon 64 (X2 preferably), and given that the nForce4 is the best Athlon chipset, the rest sort of follows naturally.
Old 04-14-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I doubt you'll be disappointed with either of those cards performance-wise, though I much prefer Nvidia's drivers/software to ATI's Catalyst. Plus no need to install Microsoft .net for Nvidia.
Old 04-14-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by matome
I doubt you'll be disappointed with either of those cards performance-wise, though I much prefer Nvidia's drivers/software to ATI's Catalyst.
what he said
Old 04-14-06, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've read that nVidia has better driver stability but ATI has better picture quality for video playback.

By the way, unless you're running a really high-end game going to SLI is overkill, so a single GeForce 7800 GT or a single ATI X1900 is more than enough for your needs.
Old 04-14-06, 05:30 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by BeanDip0001
anyway why do you like the h.264 for nVidia better? is there some difference in how clear it is? thanks for the input.
On my HTPC (2.4 GHz P4D, 2 GB RAM) there was a big difference in CPU utilization playing HD trailers. This is with a 6800 GT versus a X800 XL, which I believe are considered the same generation. Anyhow, with the ATI I'd get several 100% spikes (average ~80%), compared to nVidia's average of ~65% (was using latest/beta drivers for each).

I also LOVE purevideo for video. One last thing... with ATI to do H.264 you have to buy a Cyberlink player/decoder.

If HD-DVD is something you want, there should be plenty of HDMI-HDCP cards on the market soon. But for gaming alone, I don't know.
Old 04-15-06, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by matome
I doubt you'll be disappointed with either of those cards performance-wise, though I much prefer Nvidia's drivers/software to ATI's Catalyst. Plus no need to install Microsoft .net for Nvidia.
You only need .net if you are installing the bloated "Catalyst Control Center", you can still install just the video drivers themself. They use to offer a basic Control Panel download along with the CCC, but I don't see that now.

Also, .net will be included with Vista, which got me thinking, are these latest cards DX10 compatible? If not it seems like a poor time to purchase for that and the HDMI reasons. But then again I wouldn't drop a G on my video card(s) to begin with.
Old 04-15-06, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i learned a long time ago that the best deal is always a graphics cars that's 12-18 months old. I've bought new tech the week it comes out before and it always takes at least a year for games to use the new features and it comes out to be a waste of money.

It's hard to notice the difference of playing games at over 30 fps and almost impossible at over 60fps.
Old 04-15-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wmansir
You only need .net if you are installing the bloated "Catalyst Control Center", you can still install just the video drivers themself. They use to offer a basic Control Panel download along with the CCC, but I don't see that now.
Yeah, they've pretty much dropped the old Control Panel (they had alluded to this in the past).