Reload this Page >

Monitor upgrade question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Monitor upgrade question

Old 04-12-06, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Monitor upgrade question

I finally got a new computer and I am very happy with the 17" LCD monitor that came with the package. The funny thing is that I said no matter what I was going to end up buying a 19" LCD monitor but the packaged deal I got that had the 17" monitor was just too damn good to pass up.

I use a 19" monitor at work and while I love it, I don't see much of difference when I get home and use the 17". Of course there is a difference and I'm manily asking this question because I currently have a minor case of OCD over the issue ;-)

Would upgrading to a 19" be a waste of my money?

Few things to note: I love the 17" I currently have, I'm not a gamer, I don't watch movies on my PC, and I use the 1024X768 pixel resolution.
Old 04-12-06, 08:53 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you don't need the extra pixels that you'd get with a 19" (1280x1024) don't bother. It's really only good to get more on your screen at one time. It's useful for programmers or people who need several documents visible simultaneously.
Old 04-12-06, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks X - that's why I made sure I listed the resolution I use.
Old 04-12-06, 09:18 PM
X
Administrator

You better be using that resolution. You have to run at the native resolution of a fixed pixel display. Anything lower will look fuzzy and anything higher would be total crap.

And if you don't have a DVI connection to your monitor I would forget about going larger too. A VGA connection stops being tolerable between 17 and 19 inches.
Old 04-12-06, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a VGA connection (same at work) so more good news for me
Old 04-12-06, 09:28 PM
X
Administrator

How does your monitor at work look?

You really should see what DVI looks like. Pixel perfection. I even use DVI for my digital projector.
Old 04-12-06, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My monitor at work is VGA as well - viewsonic 19" LCD - still looks pretty damn good though. Problems? Yep, you already mentioned a little fuzzy but the biggest problem.......brightness (not 100% sure if the connection has all that much to do with it though). Still though, it's a damn good monitor but Since I use the resolution listed above, it really got me thinking that I don't need a 19".

I really want to check out DVI

Last edited by Rival11; 04-12-06 at 09:37 PM.