Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

What can I do about Big Brother at work?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-12-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe my boss may be able to see my computer screen from his office via some sort of remote big brother software. Is there any way I might be able to identify what it is that's loaded on my PC that's allowing this, and then either prevent it, or perhaps install a 3rd party software (or engage a hidden windows feature) that would alert me when access is attempted?
Old 04-12-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How computer savvy are you?

Do you care if you get fired?

It is very easy to detect and remove this type of software if you know a couple of tricks.

Run this on yuor machine

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilitie...sExplorer.html

Learn what everything running does (google is your friend)

Same goes with this

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilitie...tRevealer.html

Or you can simply 'blobk' them

install PeerGuardian

http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

Do a custom list and block the entire subnet INSIDE your company.

These are about the quickest, easiest, most effective things you can do. There are tons of other options.

The thing to be aware of is if your company has a policy that fires you when you attempt any of these
Old 04-12-06, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd rather just be alerted than prevent it. I'm wondering what software allows them to view my screen without any kind of notification to the user. I'm pretty savvy, so I'll look into some of your suggestions. I actually already use Process Explorer, but not sure how to identify the software he's using to access. Thanks.
Old 04-12-06, 06:23 PM

There are many different ways around "Big Brother" as 4KRG has mentioned. But note that it can get you fired if you have signed an agreement with the company that allows them to as such. You could always try to run a msconfig through the run menu (if it hasn't been blocked/removed on your computer already) and then see if it will show you what starts up on your computer. Note on this one as well that the program could be covert and may not show up.
Old 04-12-06, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i used to do this with system management server, forgot the process names though
Old 04-12-06, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are too many flavors of software that can 'check in' on employees to even begin to list them all.

the best approach is to find EVERYTHING that is running on your machine and eliminate everything you don't have to have to operate (this is good advice in general).

Also remember that they have logs of every web site you have been to, there is nothing you can do about this.

The smart thing to do costs a little bit of money, but buy a wirless broadband card and a laptop. Do all your fucking around on your own hardware/ISP

You can't win this war if your IT people even have half a clue.
Old 04-12-06, 08:54 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe the boss has a camera trained on his screen.
Old 04-14-06, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

stop looking at pr0n
Old 04-14-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Originally Posted by 4KRG

You can't win this war if your IT people even have half a clue.
Believe it. [/IT Big Brother]
Old 04-23-06, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not to mention, most companies that supply computers or require computer work have the fine print: "This computer and net access is ours, you could be sanctioned up to and including termination if you do stuff we don't want you to." When I boot mine up, before I can even enter my username/password, I get that notice that I must acknowledge. Everyone in the company surfs the net [worksafe only] and sends personal emails, but I think they might see a difference between spending ten minutes checking on news sites and actively trying to 'hide' from the monitoring software.

Is it worth the risk?

I work in a call center and one of the programs we have records everything the person does on the screen, and allows real-time viewing of that. It's a Q/A, callmonitoring system, meant to assist with coaching opportunities etc., but if the monitor-er sees something they absolutely shouldn't be seeing, they do notify management.
Old 04-24-06, 12:09 AM

Cannot it even be accomplished with the built in Remote Desktop function of XP. They do that all the time where I work to fix problems remotely - Or something like that. They simply take over and I can watch what they are doing onscreen, but I imagine they could do that and not move their mouse and I would never know they were there.