Reload this Page >

PC illiterate needs webpage advice

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-12-06, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never been interested in having my own webpage, or, blog.A friend, however, at work wants a webpage made.She breeds AKC Saint Bernards and wants something on the net to help promote her business.

Now, this lady is definitely illiterate when it comes to anything about PC's. She can check her e-mails, but that is about all.

Is there anything out there that is maintenence friendly? I mean could I set up a webpage for her that is easy to use for someone like her? She has family that comes over to the house that can help her. She says her daughter-in-law will be able help down the road once she gets done with her clinicals (she's going to school to be an RN).

What kinds of programs are out there that have that WYSIWYG mode? There's no way she can use HTML. Hell, all I know is a few things about HTML.

Would a blog be the way to go? Is there a website I can read that will help me set something up for her?

I have looked at this page when I was searching

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hlight=webpage

Groucho, will that help me at all? Are there still free webhosting companies out there? What's the best one? No, what's the easiest to use, never mind best one, those'll probably cost money.

Anyway, if anyone can help me I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-12-06, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
1and1.com MS Beginner package would be my recommendation. $2.99 per month, includes domain name, 5GB space, 250GB monthly bandwidth, and a WebSiteBuilder tool to help her build and maintain the site without knowing html (1 site, 8 pages). My wife, a web professional, even endorses them (though she hates the fact they don't support ColdFusion), and has two sites there.

Last edited by AGuyNamedMike; 04-12-06 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-12-06, 09:28 AM

You can do a free webpage at: http://www.tripod.lycos.com/
It's basically a "fill in the blanks" kind of thing, and it works very well. If you know HTML, you can do it that way also. Check it out..........
Good luck!