Reload this Page >

16x TYG03 (Sony) @ $.30 ea - how hot?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-10-06, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Staples is selling all of their Sony DVD media for $14.94/50pk until 4/22. I know thi isn't ultra-hot, but my local store is filled to the brim with 16x Taiyo Yudens.

I picked up 2 spindles of the -R and also grabbed one spindle of the 8x TY +R just to experiment.

Is this an occassion where I should go back and buy a year's worth of media or is this deal merely mediocre?
Old 04-10-06, 06:41 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I stocked up on 8x TY a while ago for 20 each because that was a very good deal. 30 is an ok deal but I wouldn't really stock up at that price.

Prices are dropping and there are deals for Verbatim occasionally around that price. I find Verbatim to be at least as good as TY and it's more widely carried and you don't have to worry about where it was manufactured.
Old 04-11-06, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok, I'm not impressed at all. Is there something inherrently different with -R media (substrate, etc) that would produce vastly different quality results than with +R, usually with the +R being much better? That just seems to be the trend I have experienced across several brands (Imation, TDK, Verbatim). I realize they are different disc manufacturers ... but the best +R usually exceeds the best -R.

I'm debating whether I should return the 2nd -R spindle I bought.

I have been using Verbatim +R MCC04 and have had spectacular post-burn scans even with a 12-16x scan speed. The -R TYG03 scans suck by comparison, unacceptable unless scanned at 1x. I also have the remnants of a TDK -R TTG02 spindle (usually praised) which scan like garbage regardless of speed - I haven't bothered to see if they actually play through or not.

I have both an NEC3540A and 3550A.

Last edited by BigPete; 04-11-06 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-11-06, 09:18 AM

The biggest difference is that DVD+R discs, can be "Booktyped" to be DVD Roms. That will make them more compatible with players. Commercial DVD movies are booktyped to DVD Rom. That's why they play in almost every player.

If your burner won't do +R burns, or if your burner isn't capable of booktyping, then -R discs will be more compatible.
Old 04-12-06, 09:29 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This is fairly hot.

http://www.buy.com/prod/Verbatim_DVD.../10375396.html

Actually, if you don't mind rebates, it's damn hot.
Old 04-13-06, 02:47 AM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by X
This is fairly hot.

http://www.buy.com/prod/Verbatim_DVD.../10375396.html

Actually, if you don't mind rebates, it's damn hot.
Thanks for the heads up. I would have ordered two, but with the way the rebate was worded, I ordered one. Stupid CA tax, but free shipping isn't bad. Now I'll just hope the rebate comes through.