Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

New Printer?

Old 04-09-06, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Printer?

I'm looking to buy a new printer shortly and was wondering what suggestions everyone had. I don't need many frills, such as photo quality or memory card slots. The printer will solely be used for black and white/color documents with images on a single computer. My main concerns are sharp (resolution-wise) documents, ease of use, and inexpensive (or long lasting) ink cartidges. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 04-10-06, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Look at the Canon Pixma series - what price range on your in?
Old 04-10-06, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you just need very good printer but in black and white then look for Samsung laser printers.They are quite cheap and cost efficent
Old 04-10-06, 02:29 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DEFINITELY get a laser printer. Generally speaking:

* Doesn't cost much more than an inkjet. Cost per page is MUCH cheaper than inkjet. You can easily save $100 a year over inkjet just from ink/toner costs.
* Faster than inkjet.
* Better print quality than inkjet.
* Dries faster than inkjet. Much less worry about smudging.
Old 04-10-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I echo what namja and Kumar said.

I picked up this laser printer Samsung ML-2010 about 2 months ago. I had previously had the mindset of "laser = expensive." Samsung was running a $50 rebate for this printer when I bought it, making it around $60.

It's the first laser I've owned and has worked excellent so far.

Things you should expect from this printer that you may not be used to coming from an inkjet (I know I wasn't):

-It takes about 20-25 seconds from hitting "print" on your computer to the printer actually starting. Not a big deal to me because it prints so fast once it gets started.
-After printer the fan runs awhile to cool the printer down. So, for about 5 mins after you print, you'll hear a slight noise coming from the printer. It's slightly annoying, but if you have music going, you probably won't be able to hear it.
-and a slight gripe, this Samsung has picked up 2 sheets of paper a few times instead of one. Normally not a big deal, but I do a lot of front and back printing, so this threw it completely off.

Things that I wasn't expecting from the printer that pleasantly surprised me:

-The printer software allows you to make "Favorites profiles" based one settings (single side, double side, economy, best, envelope, etc). So, when I print, I just change one setting instead of 4 or 5
-There are two trays, one for envelopes on top of the one for paper. I print a number of envelopes so this in convenient just having them there ready to print
-Easy double sided printing (don't have to turn papers to a different orientation; just put them straight in the way they came off)
Old 04-10-06, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by 4KRG
Look at the Canon Pixma series - what price range on your in?
Trying to be under $100, I was lookinging at the ip3000, but apparently you can't buy that anywhere anymore and the ip4200 and ip5200 have rather expensive inks.

I would like to be able to do some color, I just don't need it to be of photo quality. Are Laser printers still an option? I also was under the impression that laser printers = $$$, but maybe thats just wrong.
Old 04-10-06, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

B&W laser printers are cheap and fairly cheap to operate if you have the mindset that when anything major goes wrong with it you will just trash it and buy another. There are plenty of low end lasers in the $100-$150 market.

You said you needed color. That eliminates the cheap laser as an option. I guess some people don't read as well as others

If you can drop the color requirement, then check the bargain sites for whatever laser happens to be cheapest this week and run it until it dies.

It is only a matter of time before the ink clones come out for the Pixma, then you will be able to get ink for $2-$3 a cartridge.

If you want to go a little higher, watch the Dell outlet. I have seen them put refurb 3000cn printers on there for less than $200 shipped. This is a full blown color laser that is very nice with a network interface and all. The toner cost is about $40 per 3000 pages per color.
Old 04-10-06, 11:07 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4KRG
If you want to go a little higher, watch the Dell outlet. I have seen them put refurb 3000cn printers on there for less than $200 shipped. This is a full blown color laser that is very nice with a network interface and all. The toner cost is about $40 per 3000 pages per color.
I finally got rid of my Dell 3100cn (basically, the same as the 3000cn but with a real paper tray). A few warnings about the Dell color lasers:

* 4KRG's "3000 pages" is about the right figure. Dell claims that their toner cartridges are rated at 4000 pages. I went through 5 black toners, but none of the toners lasted more than 3000 pages.

* Frequent recalibrations. Initially, after you print 50 pages, the printer will pause about 30 seconds to recalibrate. What is it recalibrating? I have no idea. It will do this EVERY 50 pages. After you go through about 1000 pages, then it'll recalibrate every 25 pages. After about 2500 pages, the recalibration lasts like 90 seconds.

* At the end of the toner, the printer will quit printing and force you to change the toner. You can remove the toner, shake it a bit, and maybe squeeze another ten pages (with 4 reclibrations in between), but that's about it. With other printers, it'll keep printing even if it means that you get faded prints. Not so with the Dells.

* The color is awful. I knew that the color couldn't be photo quality and that it would't be as good as inkjets, but it was way, WAY worse than inkjets. I compared with other Dells and other color lasers, and basically all color lasers give you muted colors unless you spend thousands.