Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone have instructions on how to make a RJ45 cable?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-07-06, 10:12 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 'crimper' and plugs and wire. How do I use the crimper to make the ethernet cables? After I figure out what order the color wires go, it looks really tricky to stuff them into the plastic tip. Does anyone know a website that shows how?

Thanks!
Old 04-07-06, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The wires go from left to right with the tab on the connector facing down.

White/Orange means the white wire with the thin orange strips etc.

(White/Orange)-(Orange/W)-(W/Green)-(Blue/W)-(W/Blue)-(Green/W)-(W/Brown)-(Brown/W)

You put them in that order. Then cut them so you have about an inch of wire sticking out of the insulation. THE INSULATION ALL 8 WIRES ARE INSIDE OF. It might be grey, blue, yellow, whatever color the cable is. Cut that off so just the 8 color coded wires are showing. Then put the connector on with the tab facing DOWN and those wires going from left to right like I showed. Look at the end of the connector and make sure you can see the copper ends of the wires and make sure they are shoved up against the end of the connector.Then crimp the connector on with the tool. Repeat on the other end. The only reason they are color coded is to make sure you have the wires in the same order on both ends.

Last edited by Mopower; 04-07-06 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-07-06, 10:54 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

I dont want to waste my connectors but it looks really hard to get those wires lined up inside the thing. Is there some trick to it?
Old 04-07-06, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
I dont want to waste my connectors but it looks really hard to get those wires lined up inside the thing. Is there some trick to it?
I have about 3 inches or so of the color coded wire sticking out of the main sheath of the cable. Un twist all the wires. Put then in order. I hold them together by putting them between my thumb and pointer finger.

Make sure they are tightly together. You might have to pull and tug on them to get them to stay that way.

Then cut the extra off so that you have enough to go into the connector. Then push them into the connector so they stay in the right order.

Make sure the ends are up against the end of the connector and you can see the copper on the ends thur the pastic end of the connector.

Then crimp it on. If you have never done it before it might take you a few times.

Just make sure they are all in order and you can see the ends before you crimp then you will be ok.
Old 04-07-06, 11:21 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Thanks. Im hoping not to waste too many connectors on practice. Ive tried putting them in one at a time and its pretty hard lol
Old 04-07-06, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mo has it exactly right.

Once you make a couple dozen of them, you are an expert.

If you cared to know, a crosover cable just swaps the positions of the orange pair with the green pair on one end.

I will also note to make sure you use a SHARP tool to cut the wires off (to cut the 3 inches down to one inch) as sometimes the cheaper RJ45 plastic ends will bleed through at the very tip and wild strands will touch each other. It is one reason I always use AMP brand connectors, they don't allow this to happen. Having a very clean sharp cut will also help.

Last edited by 4KRG; 04-07-06 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-07-06, 11:40 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
Make sure [all eight wires] are tightly together. You might have to pull and tug on them to get them to stay that way.
This is the key. Line them up and insert into the plug all at once. After some practice, you should be able to make one end in about 30 seconds so about 1 minute per cable.

Good luck.
Old 04-07-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

you don't really need to follow the order as long as they are the same on both sides
Old 04-07-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.linuxathome.net/articles/howto_cat5.php

Has a very detailed directions!
Old 04-07-06, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by al_bundy
you don't really need to follow the order as long as they are the same on both sides
From what I understand the official order reduces interference, etc. If they are in the same order on both ends it will work but not as well.
Old 04-07-06, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks. Im hoping not to waste too many connectors on practice. Ive tried putting them in one at a time and its pretty hard lol
The wires are generally pretty stiff. Unless you buy really cheap cable, they use solid wire, not twisted. The RJ-45 jack also has grooves that each wire fit into. If they are in the right order going in they usually stay there; there's not much room for them to move around.
Old 04-07-06, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shaun3000
The wires are generally pretty stiff. Unless you buy really cheap cable, they use solid wire, not twisted.

{scratches head} - WTF?

NORMALLY

Solid wire has a plenum cover and is used inside walls.

Stranded wire has a PVC cover and is used in patch cables.

but you can buy solid/stranded in any configuration depending on your individual use and needs.

There are different RJ45's for stranded vs solid, make sure you use the correct ones.

If the cable is rated cat 5, cat 5e, etc, etc there is no problem with 'cheap'.

As long as the cable is certified to meet the spec, it is fine.

And yes, the color order does matter over longer runs. Signal attenuation will be greater if you use a different color order.

For a 25 foot long patch cord, it really doesn't matter. Go out 100 meters in an area with some interferance and it will matter (but you may never see it unless you have the proper tools to analyze).
Old 04-07-06, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's no way you can put them in one at a time and make a decent cable IMO. Do like Mopower was saying. Line them up loosely first, then run them between your fingers repeated times to get them fairly tight together. Put in all 8 at once and crimp. Make sure that when you crimp it, the ridged part of the connecter is actually crimping down on the jacket, not on the wires itself.
Old 04-08-06, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by 4KRG
{scratches head} - WTF?

NORMALLY

Solid wire has a plenum cover and is used inside walls.

Stranded wire has a PVC cover and is used in patch cables.

but you can buy solid/stranded in any configuration depending on your individual use and needs.

There are different RJ45's for stranded vs solid, make sure you use the correct ones.

If the cable is rated cat 5, cat 5e, etc, etc there is no problem with 'cheap'.

As long as the cable is certified to meet the spec, it is fine.

And yes, the color order does matter over longer runs. Signal attenuation will be greater if you use a different color order.

For a 25 foot long patch cord, it really doesn't matter. Go out 100 meters in an area with some interferance and it will matter (but you may never see it unless you have the proper tools to analyze).
Sorry, poor phrasing. That's what I was going for,but you said it far better than I could.
Old 04-08-06, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by shaun3000
From what I understand the official order reduces interference, etc. If they are in the same order on both ends it will work but not as well.
the interference is reduced by the twisting of the wires inside, not the order you put them in. The order is probably for professionals to have one standard when installing it in case of troubleshooting. But it's not required.
Old 04-08-06, 12:34 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
the interference is reduced by the twisting of the wires inside, not the order you put them in. The order is probably for professionals to have one standard when installing it in case of troubleshooting. But it's not required.
Not true. The specific matching of wires within a twisted pair, as well as the specific grouping of the twisted pairs in relation to one another within the outer jacket, is critical to minimize interference and maximize performance. If you do not use a standard order, then you are twisting wires (signals) together that are not supposed to be and are changing the wires' (signals') positions in relation to one another.

Q: Is the order of the colors really that critical in a patch cable? As long as both ends of a straight through cable match, won't the cable work well regardless of the color order?
A: Of course the signals that travel over those wire pairs are color blind. That is to say that they could care less (if they could think) what color is on their insulation. However, the pairs are grouped inside of the cable and in the RJ-45 connector in a certain fashion. So each pair will react with each other in a unique way. This reaction does have an effect on the performance. The more important factor is the pairing. A circuit of either transmit and receive must travel over a pair that is twisted for maximum shielding from crosstalk.
http://www.lanshack.com/cat5e-tutorial.aspx