Apple offcially supports Windows XP

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-05-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Well, not "officially," but they have released a public beta of a utility that will be included in the next version of Mac OSX.

CliffsNotes: Apple released a utility that will walk you through installing Windows XP natively on your Intel Mac and setting up a dual-boot. It will even burn a disc of all the drivers you need for Windows to work with your Mac hardware.
Old 04-05-06, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow - even more incentive to by an Intel Mac. I'm currently running both a PC and a Mac Mini - I'd love to get both into one system.
Old 04-05-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That is cool. I just saw the article on CNN. I would love to see some screen shots.
Old 04-05-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome news. More reason for me to get an Intel Mac Mini.
Old 04-05-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the shots Apple takes at MS on the right side of the page are amusing:

"EFI and BIOS

Macs use an ultra-modern industry standard technology called EFI to handle booting. Sadly, Windows XP, and even the upcoming Vista, are stuck in the 1980s with old-fashioned BIOS. But with Boot Camp, the Mac can operate smoothly in both centuries."

"Word to the Wise

Windows running on a Mac is like Windows running on a PC. That means it’ll be subject to the same attacks that plague the Windows world. So be sure to keep it updated with the latest Microsoft Windows security fixes."
Old 04-05-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I will try this out on my Intel Mini Mac. Too bad it won't fix the crappy Airport Extreme in it.
Old 04-05-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really think this is the right step for Apple to make in order to expand their business horizons

I have stated many times that Apple needs to be a software company *OR* a hardware company, but their current model really limits their customer base.

MAC hardware running XP is a good start

Next we need the MAC OS to run on PC hardware (like a Dell) and IMO you will see Apple really start to grow as a company and be a serious player. Don't fuck it up now Steve, it is finally going in the right direction.

Look out Bill, some serious competition *COULD* finally be coming your way
Old 04-05-06, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by 4KRG
Next we need the MAC OS to run on PC hardware (like a Dell) and IMO you will see Apple really start to grow as a company and be a serious player. Don't fuck it up now Steve, it is finally going in the right direction.

I'm not that interested in paying the Apple hardware premium, but I'd consider a dual-boot PC with Mac OS/Windows.
Old 04-05-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unfortunately the market for dual-boot PC's is kind of limited right now; most ppl might need 1 or the other, but not both. Only the hardcore techies might use this; nevertheless it's a good move on Apple's part. Once it starts to get in people's heads that you CAN play solitaire on the Mac, it'll really bring apple's market share up.
Old 04-05-06, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

See...I DON'T think OSX on a Windows machine is a good idea. Because Apple controls the hardware, their operating system and native applications run extremely well. Once you start introducing the variables of the PC hardware scene you risk breaking that functionality, which makes OSX less appealing.
Old 04-05-06, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Draven
See...I DON'T think OSX on a Windows machine is a good idea. Because Apple controls the hardware, their operating system and native applications run extremely well. Once you start introducing the variables of the PC hardware scene you risk breaking that functionality, which makes OSX less appealing.
However, if Apple is able to make and supply the drivers to such a device that allows the Windows OS to operate on a Mac, then it's a win-win situation for anyone who wants a dual boot machine. I currently own a 20" Intel iMac and I am very interested in doing dual boot, but not until an "official" release.

I'll wait til Leopard as I am sure there's a lot of kinks to work out now, but once Leopard launches, it should be gravy.

Now if they can get Mac OS X on Windows, oh boy, Microsoft is finally going to have some competition.
Old 04-05-06, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was hoping for a virtual machine type implementation that would allow one to run Windows apps inside MacOS X. (Sort of like how you can run MacOS 9 apps in OS X).

I have little desire to ever run Windows but it would be nice to not be limited in gaming (specifically children's) software. I can't really think of anything I'd need windows for otherwise. Maybe a landscaping program or some other nichel

This could be very positive for my workplace where some need to run a Remote Desktop/Terminal Services client to run apps on their Macs. Depends on the boot speed.
Old 04-05-06, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven
Exactly. I think as long as Jobs is the CEO of Apple, MacOS X will NEVER run on a commodity PC.
Old 04-05-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I use my PC for exactly two things: World of Warcraft and tax software. WoWo doesn't run well on my Mini and the tax software for OSX doesn't carry the kind of crazy rebates the PC stuff does.

If I could get all that in one box, I'd be the winnah.
Old 04-05-06, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think this is a brilliant idea and solves my problems completely. I want a Mac for all the cool stuff it does, but need a PC for my work related stuff and for the things that won't run on a Mac. If I can buy a mac mini and a copy of XP and have both I will be very, very tempted to use my work discount and do just that.
Price is the only thing slowing me down as getting the mini I want will be pricey.
Old 04-05-06, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by darkside
I think this is a brilliant idea and solves my problems completely. I want a Mac for all the cool stuff it does, but need a PC for my work related stuff and for the things that won't run on a Mac. If I can buy a mac mini and a copy of XP and have both I will be very, very tempted to use my work discount and do just that.
Price is the only thing slowing me down as getting the mini I want will be pricey.
I don't know if you are tied to the mini for the size factor but the iMac is a much better deal.
Old 04-05-06, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114
I don't know if you are tied to the mini for the size factor but the iMac is a much better deal.
Is there a dual core imac? I probably would go that route if possible. For some reason I was thinking the mini was the only current option for desktops.

Edit: I found it. Yes, that is definitely the option I want. Hopefully this summer I can get one.

Last edited by darkside; 04-05-06 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-06-06, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just to pose a question...I wonder if this move will actually help MS sales of XP any, since you have to have a copy of XP to put on the Mac. Most new PCs come preloaded with XP, and if one purchases a Mac with the intent to dualboot, that is another retail sale of XP for MS.

I personally think it will just be a drop in the bucket, and it won't make any noticable difference.
Old 04-06-06, 10:30 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by 4KRG
Next we need the MAC OS to run on PC hardware (like a Dell) and IMO you will see Apple really start to grow as a company and be a serious player. ...

Though not supported by Apple, this can be done to some extent today. I've seen OS X run on a stock HP system.
Old 04-06-06, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by CRM114
Exactly. I think as long as Jobs is the CEO of Apple, MacOS X will NEVER run on a commodity PC.
Considering they make all their money on hardware, and offer 90% of their software for free, that would be a safe assumption.
Old 04-06-06, 02:38 PM

So this beta version...is it going to be a permanent software or is Apple just testing it, hence, the beta. I read somewhere that it would expire in 2007 when the Mac OS X is released. Does he Mac OS X program allow the installation of Windows-based programs?
Old 04-06-06, 03:21 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fooman
So this beta version...is it going to be a permanent software or is Apple just testing it, hence, the beta. I read somewhere that it would expire in 2007 when the Mac OS X is released. Does he Mac OS X program allow the installation of Windows-based programs?
From http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20060406/tc_cmp/184428876

"Boot Camp is available as a free download from Apple’s Web site. Apple said the final version of Boot Camp will be a feature of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, the next major release of the Mac OS, which is slated to be previewed at the Apple Worldwide Developer Conference in August. Apple released an update of OS X, version 10.4.6, on Monday."
Old 04-06-06, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It also says this at apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/ in the second line of the bolded text at the top.
Old 04-06-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darkside
Is there a dual core imac? I probably would go that route if possible. For some reason I was thinking the mini was the only current option for desktops.

Edit: I found it. Yes, that is definitely the option I want. Hopefully this summer I can get one.
Not only that, the iMacs come installed with a 128MB ATI Radeon video card (optional 256MB upgrade if you get the 20" iMac) whereas the Mac Mini has Intel's shitty 64MB intergrated graphics card.
Old 04-07-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.