Reload this Page >

Need Quick Help: My Monitor Is "Pinging"

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-05-06, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Closest explanation I can give for the effect -- the display twitches, and I can hear a clearly audible "ping" sound, almost like something inside is lightly striking the glass screen. There are not speakers built in to the monitor; when I power off the monitor, the sound goes away.

Frequency is like popcorn popping -- maybe one every second, then two together, then a pause, then one more. Very erratic. Working directly off my laptop screen right now with the main monitor powered down...

Any ideas?
Old 04-05-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sheesh, no help whatsoever?
Old 04-05-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the CRT is about to explode.
Old 04-05-06, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does it look like this:

Old 04-05-06, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like a problem with the monitor obviously. There is pretty much nothing you can do about it. I"m sure any repair will cost more than a replacement. In other words I see a new monitor in your future.
Old 04-05-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NCMojo
Any ideas?

Yes, your monitor has gone bad. Buy a new one and move on
Old 04-06-06, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
I used to do monitor repair back in the day (as in 10 years ago, when it actually made financial sense to fix a monitor) and I ran into this a couple of times. The ping you hear is the result of electricity building up and discharging, several thousand volts. Think of little lightning bolts. The high voltage power supply circuitry must be whacking out (it usually just fails outright, giving you a black screen, but weirder stuff sometimes happens) or the mask in the tube may have broken loose and is causing arcing, who knows? As has been said, dispose of it responsibly and buy yourself a nice new LCD. Your eyes will thank you.
Old 04-06-06, 09:39 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the pinging continue after you turn it off and on? Did you try to manually degauss it?

Or try higher octane.
Old 04-06-06, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
I used to do monitor repair back in the day (as in 10 years ago, when it actually made financial sense to fix a monitor) and I ran into this a couple of times. The ping you hear is the result of electricity building up and discharging, several thousand volts. Think of little lightning bolts. The high voltage power supply circuitry must be whacking out (it usually just fails outright, giving you a black screen, but weirder stuff sometimes happens) or the mask in the tube may have broken loose and is causing arcing, who knows? As has been said, dispose of it responsibly and buy yourself a nice new LCD. Your eyes will thank you.
Huh. That sounds plausible. Yeah, I did have to switch to a new monitor... so I'll just recommend they retire that one.
Originally Posted by kuroiinu
Does the pinging continue after you turn it off and on? Did you try to manually degauss it?
Yes and yes. No effect.