Reload this Page >

Notebook DDR2 RAM Question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-04-06, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to upgrade my notebook memory from 512MB to 1GB+. Now, I know you're not supposed to mix memory speeds and DDR2/DDR. However, with DDR2, can you mix memory sizes? I'm pretty sure you can, but I was told by a seller on Ebay that you can't. I googled it, but I couldn't find it stated explicitly that you could.

The notebook uses PC4200 DDR2 200-pin SODIMM. There is 512MB in it now with one free slot. I was going to stick a 1GB in the free one.

Thanks,
Old 04-04-06, 09:56 AM

It looks like you can mix it no problem, but some people say in doing so it would disable dual channel performance and default to single channel? I can't really find a clear answer either.
Old 04-04-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I vaguely remember reading about that some time ago, but I never bothered to find out more until now.
Old 04-04-06, 12:34 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 256MB with 1GB DDR2 in a notebook. It doesn't support dual channel anyway so I didn't care about matching the RAM.

Dual channel will be disabled when using different size memory. Sometimes it's even disabled when using same size memory but slightly different chips.

Does your notebook support dual channel operation? I'm not sure it's that much of an improvement anyway.