Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

MiniDV Camcorder picture quality on HDTV question.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-03-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there everyone. I just purchased a new JVC MiniDV camcorder last week, model number GR-D244U, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it's pretty nice and the price was right. Anyway my question is in regards to PQ on my Panny 47" RP-HDTV. When I connect the camcorder up to the TV the picture is horrible and all pixelated. It looks like if you take a small MPEG file that's 320x180 (or whatever) and blow it up like 300% in windows media player. Is this normal for camcorder viewing on bigscreen tvs? The LCD on camera shows a clear image and it's not very distorted when connected to an older SD 19" TV.

Is this normal, or is there a problem with my camcorder? If the resolution on these camcorders is small, then that's going to be a problem for me. I don't want to watch everything I record on my small 19" TV.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What connection (cable) are you using to connect the camera to the TV? Also check that your TV is set to accept the proper signal fromt he camera. For example, if your camera is outputting 480p, the TV must be set to receive that signal. Not sure if that is your problem, but worth a shot.
Old 04-03-06, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The cable is just the standard one that came w/ the camcorder. One end plugs into the camera and the other end has standard composite A/V cables. I don't think there are any settings that can be changed.
Old 04-03-06, 04:08 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I have two camcorders. One is a Sony Digital8 and the other is a Samsung MiniDV. I have played them both on my roommate's Sony 50" HDTV and they look fine. Sure, the HDTV and the size reveals flaws in the picture quality/grain/whatnot but not anywhere near what you describe and never pixellated. Even video from my old non-digital 8mm camcorder doesn't have that problem on the HDTV.

I might go another route and suggest you check your camcorder recorder settings. What you're describing sounds more like video from a digital camera, not a camcorder. Unless you are shooting in extremely low light conditions and are referring to heavy grain instead.
Old 04-03-06, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
I have two camcorders. One is a Sony Digital8 and the other is a Samsung MiniDV. I have played them both on my roommate's Sony 50" HDTV and they look fine. Sure, the HDTV and the size reveals flaws in the picture quality/grain/whatnot but not anywhere near what you describe and never pixellated. Even video from my old non-digital 8mm camcorder doesn't have that problem on the HDTV.

I might go another route and suggest you check your camcorder recorder settings. What you're describing sounds more like video from a digital camera, not a camcorder. Unless you are shooting in extremely low light conditions and are referring to heavy grain instead.
This is definitely a camcorder and not digital camera. I was shooting in pretty low light so maybe that's the major reason my video is poor. It is pretty grainy, but also looked bad like I described earlier with the blowing up of a video to 300% or so. I'll shoot another outdoors in the daylight and view it and will let you know if that makes a big difference. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-03-06, 05:56 PM
Mod Emeritus

I'd say chalk it up to camcorder quality issues. My JVC is also a newer model and looks like complete ass on my 30 inch HDTV, a lot like the way you mentioned. It's a combination of crappy CCD's (assuming you have the 3 CCD one like mine) and crappy 480i resolution. SDTV makes up for crap resolution with professional grade cameras.

We have to wait for the HD camcorders to come out.