Reload this Page >

Laptop gurgle noise

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Laptop gurgle noise

Old 03-26-06, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laptop gurgle noise

I've got a weird sound coming from my laptop. Hopefully, someone can tell me what it is. I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 and after turning it on, it will periodically make a very faint "gurgle" sound from the right hand side of the laptop. The sound is faint and the best that I can describe it is a gurgle. Something it might sort of sound like is if you have an open can of soda and you hear some of the carbonation bubbles pop.

I have confirmed it is not a sound coming from the speakers or within Windows (I can still hear it sitting in the setup or diagnostics screen). I have called Dell support a couple times about it. They thought it was the hard drive, so sent me out a replacement. However, with the replacement drive, I still heard it, so sent that one back.

I can let the laptop sit there with no active apps open, and every once in a while it will make that sound. Any clues? Thanks.
Old 03-26-06, 01:54 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, it's the hard drive. A lot of Dells make that noise. Don't know why.
Old 03-26-06, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the reply. They're going to send me out another HD again, so I guess I'll see if that resolves it.
Old 03-27-06, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Probably static electricity. Have you ever turn an old monitor on and off? It has similar noises you describe.
Old 03-27-06, 01:34 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gambit
Thanks for the reply. They're going to send me out another HD again, so I guess I'll see if that resolves it.
It may or may not go away.

On my gf's two-year old Dell 600m ...

The original HD had the gurgling noise. Then the HD crashed. Dell sent her a new one. The replacement HD also had a gurgling noise but very faint.

She upgraded the HD two weeks ago, going from the basic 30GB from Dell to a Samsung 80GB 5400 RPM with 8MB cache. In addition to having extra storage and better performance, the gurgling sound is now gone. The only sound she hears now is the fan.
Old 03-28-06, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, got the replacement hard drive today. My original one was a Western Digital, and they said they would try to send a different brand. However, the replacement one is a WD as well. Put it in, went to the diagnostics screen... it gurgles too.

Oh well, not going to mess with this anymore. Laptop hasn't had any problems other than the noise. I don't want to go through the hassle of installing the replacement drive since it probably has the same issue.