Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

'Intel ViiV discussion' or 'Why I'm feeling depressed about this new technology.'

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

'Intel ViiV discussion' or 'Why I'm feeling depressed about this new technology.'

Old 03-25-06, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We recently had product training on Intel's new ViiV technology since we sell HP Media Centres at work. Here's the jist of what what we were told.

1. New ViiV motherboard chipset gives HD 7.1 audio
2. Chipset also enables media center computers to come in and out of standby really fast.
3. Existing Online Spotlight feature of Media Center will show websites approved by Intel that can be viewed on a big screen TV and controlled with remote.
4. Ease of use. Pretty much everything can be setup through the remote control.

The problem I have is that the existing Media Center PC's pretty much already did all that. At some level, you HAVE to use a KB + Mouse to do some things. We set a new one up today at work and couldn't get past the Windows license agreement without using a Mouse. It's depressing me that Intel have spent a whole lot of money on something I don't see as a tangible product, just an... idea.
I asked the speaker at the training night this question in response to feature 3.
Q: What's stopping me from making a website myself that is designed for a large screen (big fonts and buttons) and is accessible by the Media Centre remote. Will it work on the Online Spotlight without use of a ViiV enabled computer?
A: Well, there are various bits of fiddling around you have to do, but I'm sure someone like you would be able to do it.

On top of that, my superiors are trying to convice me of the benefits (I'm sure it's in their financial interest since they would get a lot of advertising dollar from all the signs we have of it around the store) when I clearly don't see any.

Can someone knock some sense into me and tell me what I should be looking forward to, or am I right to be perplexed and totally uninterested in this product?
Old 03-25-06, 09:11 AM

VIIV isn't a new product, it's a certification much like Centrino. All it means is that the box has an Intel Processor and an intel chipset with the Azalia 7.1 audio (the same stuff that's been around for a year or so). It really isn't anything to get excited about, so just go with the flow sell these new VIIV boxes the same way you would have sold MCE boxes in the past.
Old 03-25-06, 12:25 PM
Mod Emeritus

That sounds pretty cool actually.
Old 03-25-06, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know it sounds cool but you can do the same thing with Media Center anyway, and the Intel guys made a point of saying that the points mentioned above were DIFFERENT from media center.
It sounds like Intel are just trying to have their name attached to the HTPC market and make people think it's something new.
Old 03-25-06, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, I've heard many of the ViiV features will be used by Windows Vista in the Home Premium and Ultimate editions that support entertainment center functionality--essentially replacing the Windows XP Media Center editions.
Old 03-26-06, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Intel speakers told us that they have not collaborated with MS at all. 'Microsoft did not come to the party' were the exact words.