Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

RAM going to onboard video - how to turn off?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-24-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a new comp that I am using as a HTPC... The computer has onboard video card and 64 megs are allocated to the video card... so I have 768 RAM in the box, but only 708 show up in windows (768 - 64 for vid card).. Normally this would be fine... The issue is that I'm not using the onboard video as I added my own video card... If it was up to me, I would rip out the onboard video (i know i can;t). How can I stop the computer from allocating RAM/resources to it?
Old 03-24-06, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look in the BIOS of the system - there should be a way to disable the on-board video. Depending on the motherboard, you may need to switch a jumper on the motherboard (generally only for older systems). If nothing else, you should be able to set how much RAM the on-board video can use in the BIOS, getting you back a bit more.