Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Excel - can I switch worksheets and remain in the same cell?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-24-06, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a guy at work who refuses to switch from Lotus to Excel. His reason for not switching is that Excel does not allow him to switch between worksheets an keep his cell position constant. (example: if he is in cell C:13 in a worksheet "September" when he switches to "March" Worksheet he also wants to be in cell C:13 --- not in the last cell where he left off)

I see his point. He has the same worksheet but each one is a different month so Lotus allows him to toggle between months and view the same data in different months.

I have tried and tried, but can not find a way to have Excel allow the user to switch between worksheets and stay in the same cell.

Any one know how to do this?
Old 03-24-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've figured out a somewhat awkward way to do it. Click on the cell in Sheet1, then while holding shift, click on the Sheet2 tab. Lift your finger off shift, and click on Sheet2 tab again. Then, while again holding shift, click one last time on the Sheet2 tab. You should be in the same position on the new sheet.

What this does is group the sheets together, then ungroups them (you'll notice the tab color change from beige to white). I have no idea if this affects the data in other ways, though.

It's kind of awkward, but with practice it's pretty easy.

I'll keep an eye out for an easier way.
Old 03-24-06, 11:24 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
I've figured out a somewhat awkward way to do it. Click on the cell in Sheet1, then while holding shift, click on the Sheet2 tab. Lift your finger off shift, and click on Sheet2 tab again. Then, while again holding shift, click one last time on the Sheet2 tab. You should be in the same position on the new sheet.

What this does is group the sheets together, then ungroups them (you'll notice the tab color change from beige to white). I have no idea if this affects the data in other ways, though.

It's kind of awkward, but with practice it's pretty easy.

I'll keep an eye out for an easier way.
If the sheets are NOT adjacent to each other, then the cells don't get grouped. Hold SHIFT, click on next non-adjacent sheet, let go SHIFT, click on the new sheet again. You're done.

If you WANT to group non-adjacent sheets, you do the same procedure as above with the CTRL button instead of the SHIFT button.

The data is not affected. When you group the sheets, anything you change in one cell WHILE the sheets are grouped will be changed in all the cells that are grouped. As long as you just group/ungroup, the data should have no effect.

Last edited by namja; 03-24-06 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-24-06, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks

Looks like it does work - but he's not going to buy into this. While the cell changes from sheet to sheet now, your view does not.

For example if cell W:42 has the total profit for the month Tab1, but in Tab2 the last thing you were looking at was cell A:1.... when you switch to Tab2 cell W:42 is now highligted but you are looking at cell A:1.

He wants to toggle through sheets and compare data within the same cell.

Anyone know how to keep the view the same?

I have to get this guy off of Lotus