Dell to purchase AlienWare

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-23-06, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MacNN
PC giant Dell today announced that it is buying Alienware, a high-end PC-maker focused on the gaming market -- in an effort to what some believe is to fight Apple's potential marketshare gains by its move to the Intel architecture. "Alienware's products are an excellent complement to Dell's own line of high-performance computers designed for gaming-enthusiast and media-content customers," CEO Michael Dell said. "In addition to offering high-quality, high-performance products, Alienware has tremendous brand appeal with consumers and creative business professionals," Dell added. Dell likely took interest in Alienware to strengthen its stance against Apple, as well as branding, according to a report from Forbes.
Will is ever stop?
Old 03-23-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dell likely took interest in Alienware to strengthen its stance against Apple, as well as branding, according to a report from Forbes.
I think the person at Forbes that thinks this is an idiot.

I think a big part of the reason Dell did this was to be able to sell AMD based computers. We will see how long they can hold out before Intel starts to get nervous.

AMD use to be a joke, now they are a serious player that has some better technology than Intel. Dell was missing the boat big time by not being able to sell AMD based platforms.
Old 03-23-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

oh boy....the time has come..... rise of the giant comps
Old 03-23-06, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dell will be selling the XPS600 Renegade for $10000 which runs on 4 Nvidia7900's and has some proprietary physics processor. They'll probably slap the ALienware name and case on that now.
Old 03-23-06, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, and we all know the XPS600 will sell by the thousands. LOL. There are so many cheap-ass overclockers in the world, it's great entertainment to read the O/C forums on the net.
Old 03-23-06, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dell's XPS line is probably going to go away and they will probably market Alienware to take its place.
Old 03-24-06, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by 4KRG
Dell was missing the boat big time by not being able to sell AMD based platforms.
Yup, I was really feeling bad for poor Michael Dell...If only they sold AMD, they might be a decent little company.

I'm not so sure this is an AMD vs Intel thing. I just think Dell thought their XPS line would put Alien out of business and when it didn't they just bought them. They can use the Alien line to attract the younger "hip" crowd that Alien does and the XPS line has not.

And I really wonder...what % of buyer actually uses the processor brand as the determining factor in buying? 10%? Maybe?
Old 03-24-06, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought Dell did already buy Alienware, I was looking in to Alienware laptops a couple weeks ago and I thought that their website looked a lot like Dells.
Old 03-24-06, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Holy Carp. It does.
Old 03-25-06, 02:13 AM

Dell is as bad as Bose, for brainwashing the consumers. Too bad Dell is gonna ruin a perfectly good computer, by buying them out!
Old 03-25-06, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Difference is, you Bose talks about quality. The only reason I buy Dell is price.
Old 03-25-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by emoxley
Dell is as bad as Bose, for brainwashing the consumers. Too bad Dell is gonna ruin a perfectly good computer, by buying them out!

I have bought 4 dell's for personal use in the past 4-5 years. Other then a minor problem with my laptop, (which Dell fixed promply under warranty), I'm happy with all 4 and all 4 still running strong. Tho I suppose Dell could have brain washed me into just thinking I'm happy, when in fact I'm not.

But it is not like I own stock in Dell. Show me another computer of comparible quality, features and price and I'll buy. For example, I'm looking for a lightweight lappy for travel. Timed right you can get the Dell 710 for $800ish decently loaded. Point me in the direction of a 4lb notebook, decent built, with built in combo drive and decent features for that $$ and I'll consideer it.
Old 03-25-06, 11:43 AM

I know four people that have bought Dells, in the last 3-4 yrs.
They have all had nothing but trouble. Besides that, the build quality is lacking. I think the best computer to buy, is a custom built one. That way you get exactly what you want. You don't have to buy things you don't want or need, because it's part of the package. Custom built is more personal. If you do have a problem, the store is down the street, instead of being on hold forever, waiting to talk to some woman in India, that you can't understand anyway.

Get to know the people working at your local shop. They can be very helpful too. I'll drop in and spend 30-40 mins, just asking questions, and shooting the breeze with them. My wife bought my Audigy2 ZS Platinum sound card from somewhere else (Circuit City), and the guy at my local shop installed it for me, for free! I've been back and bought a second HD and more ram, and he knocked a good bit off the price. When I had a problem with my dvd burner, he upgraded it to a double layer burner, at no extra cost. Dell, nor any other major name brand computer, is gonna do this stuff for you! It means a lot to me. The local guy will get my business in the future too.........
Good luck with whatever you get.
Old 03-25-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've read more horror stories about Alienware than Dell. But then Alienware has always been more about brand than quality.
Old 03-25-06, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 4KRG
Dell likely took interest in Alienware to strengthen its stance against Apple, as well as branding, according to a report from Forbes.
I think the person at Forbes that thinks this is an idiot.

I think a big part of the reason Dell did this was to be able to sell AMD based computers. We will see how long they can hold out before Intel starts to get nervous.

AMD use to be a joke, now they are a serious player that has some better technology than Intel. Dell was missing the boat big time by not being able to sell AMD based platforms.
I thought the same thing about the Forbes report. Alienware's market is gaming computers and no serious gamer would even consider getting an Apple (for gaming).

Regarding Dell selling AMD, from everything I've read about Intel's next gen chip, Conroe, which will be out later this year, the company seems ready to make a serious comeback. Pricing may still be an issue, but unless AMD has something equally revolutionary up it's sleeve then Intel will run away with the performance crown. So perhaps it won't even become an issue, since presumably Alienware will dump AMD like a hot potato if they can't compete on the performance front.
Old 03-25-06, 12:22 PM
Mod Emeritus

I know four people that have bought Dells, in the last 3-4 yrs.
They have all had nothing but trouble. Besides that, the build quality is lacking. I think the best computer to buy, is a custom built one. That way you get exactly what you want. You don't have to buy things you don't want or need, because it's part of the package. Custom built is more personal. If you do have a problem, the store is down the street, instead of being on hold forever, waiting to talk to some woman in India, that you can't understand anyway.

Get to know the people working at your local shop. They can be very helpful too. I'll drop in and spend 30-40 mins, just asking questions, and shooting the breeze with them. My wife bought my Audigy2 ZS Platinum sound card from somewhere else (Circuit City), and the guy at my local shop installed it for me, for free! I've been back and bought a second HD and more ram, and he knocked a good bit off the price. When I had a problem with my dvd burner, he upgraded it to a double layer burner, at no extra cost. Dell, nor any other major name brand computer, is gonna do this stuff for you! It means a lot to me. The local guy will get my business in the future too.........
Good luck with whatever you get.

I own 4 Dell PCs, and 1 Dell laptop. I think I got the PCs for around $200 each. (2) SC400, (1) SC420, (1) cheap Dimension, and a Inspiron 9300 laptop. They have been nothing but reliable and Dell has been nothing but excellent the entire time. I get minimal RAM, HDD, and video cards and then buy better ones. I don't have the time or patience to build 4 PCs from scratch, although I do have the skill to do that if I wanted.

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 03-25-06 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-25-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the best computer to buy, is a custom built one. That way you get exactly what you want. You don't have to buy things you don't want or need, because it's part of the package. Custom built is more personal.
Cool, point me to sights where I can build my own laptop! Would love to.

As for building desktops...Dell has such great deals, I think you would be hard pressed to build one for less. But if that is your thing, more power to you.

Me, I have never had problems with Dell service, tho only used it once.
Old 03-25-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
They have been nothing but reliable and Dell has been nothing but excellent the entire time. I get minimal RAM, HDD, and video cards and then buy better ones. I don't have the time or patience to build 4 PCs from scratch, although I do have the skill to do that if I wanted.
That is how you get the best deals, get the most basic set up and add on yourself. For example, when I bought my last desktop from dell they wanted like $140 for a dvd writer, yet I bought one on like for like $40 and installed my self. There are similar savings for graphic cards, etc.

My deal for my last desktop was for a mid level dell desktop with the basics (cd drive only) AND 19" LCD flat panel for $450ish shipped to my house. Already added the above mentioned DVD writer and looking for a PCIe graphics card, then some more memory and will be set.

You get into trouble with dell by getting carried away and clicking all those "upgrades".
Old 03-25-06, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Cool, point me to sights where I can build my own laptop! Would love to.
I saw somewhere the other day, where you can do this now. I don't remember where. I'll see if I can find it again. If I do, I'll post it here for you..........
Old 03-25-06, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My Dell has been trouble free for 2 years now. Good computer. I'd definitely buy a Dell again.
Old 03-25-06, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most of my family have Dells and they are going strong after several years. I have heard horrible stories about Alienware though. They were always overpriced also.
Old 03-26-06, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw somewhere the other day, where you can do this now. I don't remember where. I'll see if I can find it again. If I do, I'll post it here for you..........
Really? I was being sort of sarcastic, but really I would be interested. I have pretty basic needs for a lappy (other then small and light), so it might be worth building...but still don't see how in the end it could be cheaper then some of the Dell deals.
Old 03-26-06, 11:02 AM

I never said they were cheaper than some Dell deals. I said, in the long run, you'd be better off with a custom built, with experiences I know of with friends and others. When Dell buys parts by the train car load, they get them cheap, and they can sell cheaper. That definately doesn't mean better though. Most local stores can't compete with Wal Mart on price either. They are another one that buys stuff by the train car load.

I DO know that the guys at two of the local repair shops say they get more Dells in for repairs, than any other brand. HP is second......... Not just my four friends, I mentioned above, but everyone I've known in past years, that had Dells, had nothing but problems with them. Everybody! That's why I didn't even consider Dell, when I was buying.

When I worked as a courier for DHL, we delivered Gateway computers. I had to deliver & pickup five Gateway laptops, to a guy in college, before he finally got one that would work for more than a week. I just don't see any of the big name brands as being quality built. It's my opinion, based on experiences, and I'm entitled to it, just as you're entitled to your's............. Enjoy your Dells!
Old 03-26-06, 11:59 AM
Mod Emeritus

Your experiences are all 2nd hand. I'm telling you my Dells are great, I own 5 Dell machines and they all have run like champs for years. I even owned a 486 DX-50 Dell that was Made in the USA and it was great.

I DO know that the guys at two of the local repair shops say they get more Dells in for repairs
Because Dell sells more computers than anyone else, not because of quality.
Old 03-26-06, 02:11 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Because Dell sells more computers than anyone else, not because of quality.
Yeah, this is the most likely scenario.

I've bought over 500 Dells for my clients in the last three years. No way I could have built the desktops for cheaper (just the parts alone would have cost $200 more ordering from newegg.com) and NO ONE had notebooks for cheaper. And the problems I did have (~15 of them had hard drive problems and one had a bad CD/DVD drive), Dell would FedEx me the replacement parts overnight so I would have it the very next business day.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.