Microsoft delays consumer launch of Windows Vista until Jan 2007

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-21-06, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060321/...osoft_vista_dc

53 minutes ago

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) said on Tuesday it plans to delay the consumer launch of its much-anticipated Windows Vista operating system to January 2007 from its earlier target of the second half of 2006, sending its shares down nearly 3 percent.

Microsoft plans to launch a product for corporate customers in November and then roll out Windows Vista for consumers after the holiday shopping season, Jim Allchin, co-president of the company's Platforms & Services Division, said on a conference call.

Vista is the first major overhaul of Windows since Microsoft rolled out Windows XP nearly five years ago.

Microsoft said Vista is delayed because it wants to improve overall quality, particularly in security, and that PC makers didn't want the operating system introduced in the middle of holiday sales, because a new version would create instability in the market.

Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft is planning six core offerings of the Vista operating system, targeting how people use computers instead of PC hardware specifications.

Three will be aimed at consumers, two at business users, and a stripped-down version for emerging markets. Unlike the current Windows XP, there will be no versions designed specifically for advanced 64-bit computing, multimedia computers or Tablet PCs.

Windows, which is found in about 90 percent of all computer desktops, is one of Microsoft's biggest cash cows.

Shares of Microsoft fell 2.6 percent to $27.02 in extended trade. In regular Nasdaq trade, the stock fell 15 cents, or less than 1 percent, to close at $27.74.

Well, this will delay me buying a brand new spanking computer with Vista preloaded!

Chris
Old 03-21-06, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Phew. I was worried about my Microsoft stock going up too quickly there.
Old 03-21-06, 07:27 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I noticed it was up to $28 so something had to happen.
Old 03-21-06, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, that's a good sign. They're dropping features yet delaying the release.
Old 03-21-06, 08:03 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

no one really takes release dates seriously do they? especially for something as big as an OS. i take them as "yeah...we're hoping to release on this date, but if you don't see it, then, well, you'll see it when you see it."
Old 03-21-06, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by HN
no one really takes release dates seriously do they? especially for something as big as an OS. i take them as "yeah...we're hoping to release on this date, but if you don't see it, then, well, you'll see it when you see it."
Well, they dropped Vista features to keep the release date, so this new delay just makes me wonder what's going on over there.
Old 03-21-06, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X
I noticed it was up to $28 so something had to happen.
Been selling $27.50 calls like it was going out of style for the last 6+ months.
Old 03-21-06, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Not much of a bother to me since Windows XP is pretty solid as an OS for me. While I know i'll play around with Vista when it comes out, there's no rush.
Old 03-24-06, 01:51 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060324/...soft_office_dc

Microsoft delays consumer Office software to 2007
Fri Mar 24, 10:38 AM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. on Friday said it would delay the consumer launch of its Office software package until next year to coincide with the debut of its Vista operating system.

Both products had been expected later this year.

The 2007 Microsoft Office package, which includes the Word processor, Excel spreadsheet, and PowerPoint presentation software, will be made available to business customers in October 2006, the world biggest software maker said.

Earlier this week, Microsoft delayed the consumer launch of its much-anticipated Windows Vista software until January 2007 from an earlier target of the second half of 2006 and pledged to ship the next version of its operating system to business customers in November.

Vista is the first major overhaul of Windows since Microsoft rolled out Windows XP nearly five years ago. The company's last major update to Office came in 2003.

The successful roll-out of the new products are vital to Microsoft re-establishing itself as a company with robust growth potential and kick-starting its stock, which has been mostly stagnant for the last five years.

Microsoft shares fell 21 cents to $26.64 Friday on Nasdaq.

Chris
Old 03-24-06, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh, I have zero problems with XP Pro now, so I'm in no rush for Vista anyway. Not to say I won't check it out when it does come, though.
Old 03-24-06, 05:04 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by matome
Eh, I have zero problems with XP Pro now, so I'm in no rush for Vista anyway. Not to say I won't check it out when it does come, though.
I'm anxious for Vista, but only for the new MCE features. But I doubt I'll upgrade my non-MCE machines, until MS makes XP obsolete and stops patching it).
Old 03-24-06, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe it has something to do with....Sony Playstation 3...
Old 03-24-06, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All signs are pointing towards a crappy Christmas 2006.
Old 03-25-06, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
All signs are pointing towards a crappy Christmas 2006.
Well at least it will be an inexpensive Christmas 2006!

Chris
Old 03-25-06, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Good thing they weren't planning on calling it "Windows2006."
Old 03-25-06, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Alvis
Good thing they weren't planning on calling it "Windows2006."
Well they could add a sticker right next to Windows 2006 that says '+ 1 Month".

Chris
Old 05-02-06, 04:36 PM

We'll see if this is true!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060502/...oft_vista_dc_1

Microsoft may delay Windows Vista again -- Gartner
2 hours, 55 minutes ago

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp.'s (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) long- awaited release of the upgrade to its flagship Windows operating system will likely be delayed again by at least three months, research group Gartner Inc. (NYSE:IT - news) said on Tuesday.

The research note, released to clients on Monday, said the new Windows Vista operating system is too complex to be able to meet Microsoft's targeted November release for volume license customers and January launch for retail consumers.

A Microsoft spokeswoman said the company disagreed with the Gartner report and it was still on track to meet its launch dates.

Vista is the first major overhaul of its operating system, which sits on 90 percent of the world's computers and accounts for nearly a third of Microsoft's total revenue, since Microsoft rolled out Windows XP nearly five years ago.

Microsoft originally targeted a 2005 launch for the new Windows, then pushed the release out to 2006 before announcing in March that Vista would again be delayed to improve the product's quality.

Gartner targets a Windows Vista release in the April-June quarter of 2007, nine to 12 months after Microsoft conducts a second major test, or "beta," release for Vista during the current quarter.

"Microsoft still wants to get it out as soon as possible, but slipping from January to March is nowhere near as bad as slipping from shipping before the holidays to after the holidays," a group of Gartner analysts wrote in the report.

Gartner said Windows XP took five months to go from a second test release to the start of production, but the magnitude of technological improvement in Vista is closer to Windows 2000, which took 16 months between the second test and production.

Once production starts, it usually takes between six- to eight-weeks for PC manufacturers to load the operating system onto new computers, Gartner said.

Microsoft shares were down 22 cents at $24.07 in afternoon trading on Nasdaq.

Chris
Old 05-02-06, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is all a ploy by Microsoft ... they had a terrible quarter, so they're going to pile all their bad news out at the same time. It's called airing your dirty laundry.

THEN next year they will smash all results and take this stock out of the doldrum.
Old 05-03-06, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would never bet against a MS launch delay, but I don't think you can directly compare 2000 test cycle to this one. 1st, Vista may be closer to 2k than XP, but it's still not in 2k's league. 2nd, like never before MS is depending more on CTPs than traditional betas. And 3rd, it's disingenuous to say from "second test" to production because unlike 2k there are no plans for a Vista Beta3.

2000 wasn't feature complete until Beta3, and went gold 7 months later. XP went gold 4 months after their feature complete Beta. Vista's feature comlete Beta is expected in a couple of weeks (and I've read they are on schedule for that), which gives MS 5-6 months to go gold, depending on how long it takes for them to go from gold to "enterprise release".
Old 08-28-06, 05:05 PM

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/software/...ked-197123.php

Start Saving, Vista Prices Leaked
The Canadian Microsoft retail pricing page had the various versions of Microsoft Vista listed along with their SKUs. It immediately got taken down, but not before they were recorded for the world to see. Here is the big 'ole list. I busted out the abacus and converted all of the prices to USD. I'm such a nice guy.

Full Version

•Vista Ultimate $450
•Vista Business $341
•Vista Home Premium $269
•Vista Home Basic $233

Upgrade Version

•Vista Ultimate Upgrade $269
•Vista Business Upgrade $224
•Vista Home Premium Upgrade $179
•Vista Home Basic Upgrade $116

In all reality the prices are pretty average. Sure the $450 standalone Ultimate version is a bit high, but most users will be buying upgrade versions, and $116 isn't that bad for an entire operating system. – Travis Hudson

Vista prices revealed!
[ZDNet]

Chris
Old 08-28-06, 05:10 PM
X
Administrator

It's getting so the OS will cost more than the computer. I don't think people are going to go for that very well.
Old 08-28-06, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

these are just retail prices

OEM is a lot cheaper. Don't think Dell pays anywhere near this much for a copy. Closer to $30 for a copy of Home
Old 08-28-06, 05:18 PM

I will have had my current computer almost 4 years when Vista comes out.

I'm waiting to buy a new computer with Vista pre-installed. That is one way to absorb and justify the cost. I won't have to worry about upgrade hastles, plus I get a faster computer in the process.

Chris
Old 08-28-06, 05:22 PM
X
Administrator

There is a substantial market in upgrades. Especially considering how well new computers have been selling and are likely to sell for quite a while.

Will people pay a high percentage of what their computer cost for an upgraded OS? I guess we'll find out.
Old 08-29-06, 12:57 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060321/...osoft_vista_dc

53 minutes ago

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) said on Tuesday it plans to delay the consumer launch of its much-anticipated Windows Vista operating system to January 2007 from its earlier target of the second half of 2006, sending its shares down nearly 3 percent.

Microsoft plans to launch a product for corporate customers in November and then roll out Windows Vista for consumers after the holiday shopping season, Jim Allchin, co-president of the company's Platforms & Services Division, said on a conference call.

Vista is the first major overhaul of Windows since Microsoft rolled out Windows XP nearly five years ago.

Microsoft said Vista is delayed because it wants to improve overall quality, particularly in security, and that PC makers didn't want the operating system introduced in the middle of holiday sales, because a new version would create instability in the market.

Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft is planning six core offerings of the Vista operating system, targeting how people use computers instead of PC hardware specifications.

Three will be aimed at consumers, two at business users, and a stripped-down version for emerging markets. Unlike the current Windows XP, there will be no versions designed specifically for advanced 64-bit computing, multimedia computers or Tablet PCs.

Windows, which is found in about 90 percent of all computer desktops, is one of Microsoft's biggest cash cows.

Shares of Microsoft fell 2.6 percent to $27.02 in extended trade. In regular Nasdaq trade, the stock fell 15 cents, or less than 1 percent, to close at $27.74.

Well, this will delay me buying a brand new spanking computer with Vista preloaded!

Chris

Do you really want to get it that early in its lifespan? I would wait until SP1 or 2 come out for it... my 2 cents. Not sure the rush for Vista.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.