Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

APC UPS setup advice

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

APC UPS setup advice

Old 03-20-06, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
APC UPS setup advice

I recently bought an APC Battery Backup 800VA/540W (mfg link: http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...e_sku=BR800BLK). It has 4 battery backup inputs & 3 surge protection only inputs. The unit has AVR.

I have never used a UPS before, so I'm looking for advice as to what to hook up in which (batt. backup vs surge only). See below for a list of equipment...

Dell Dimension 8400 (3.2GHZ, 1GB Ram)
Dell E193FP 19" LCD flat panel monitor
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers (200 watt total; 130, 2x35)
DSL modem
Wireless router

I am looking for protection against blackouts, brownouts, etc; ability to do normal shutdown if power goes out. Not worried about system staying up to work on - just want it up long enough to shut everything down properly. Although, I do have a laptop that could be used if the modem & wireless router were still up.

What would the optimal setup be?

Last edited by adumbc; 03-21-06 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-21-06, 12:25 AM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Put the computer and monitor on the battery backup inputs. The others can all go on the surge only.

And be sure to use the USB cable and APS software to automatically shut down in case of power outage. That way if you are not around, it'll shut down Windows on its own.
Old 03-21-06, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd plug the modem and router into the battery as well, so if you're doing something online you have a chance to finish what you're doing or, as you said, use your laptop if you need to. The outlets are there, so why not use them?
Old 03-21-06, 09:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
While you might think plugging everything you can into it would be the best thing to do, it may not be. I recently purchased the APC CS-500 and on the box it has a chart for how much runtime you get with a PC and monitor. For example, it has a runtime of 21 minutes with a 15" LCD and traditional tower PC, but only 10 minutes if it's a 17" CRT monitor. The DSL and wireless router probably won't add much to the load, but something like a printer definitely would be too much.
Old 03-21-06, 05:19 PM

Thanks for the replies so far.

Tell me if this is possible/makes sense... instead of the monitor being on the battery side all the time (possibly shortening the life of the battery?) could I have the monitor on the surge side and then only plug it into the battery if the power went out? Does that make sense or is there no advantage to that?

Are you able to plug something into the battery that wasn't plugged in when the power went out?
Old 03-21-06, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From your original post:
Originally Posted by adumbc
I am looking for protection against blackouts, brownouts, etc; ability to do normal shutdown if power goes out. Not worried about system staying up to work on - just want it up long enough to shut everything down properly.
Shutting down only takes a few seconds, so why worry about squeezing a little extra time out of the battery? Plug the monitor into the battery side and be done with it.
Old 03-21-06, 11:11 PM
mbs

I don't think the battery life (by this I mean lifetime of the battery, not how long it will stay on in the event of power failure) will vary whether you have everything plugged in or not.

If you are manually shutting things down, I'd leave the monitor on the battery.

And you can generally plug in other appliances when the power goes out. At least I can on my UPSs.

Last edited by mbs; 03-22-06 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-21-06, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The battery life most definitely varies depending on what you have plugged in.

I'd just plug everything into the battery backup plugs except for the speakers.
Old 03-22-06, 12:28 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by Shazam
The battery life most definitely varies depending on what you have plugged in.
You are saying the working life (not the amount of time it can stay on) of the battery will vary based on what is plugged into it? That seems odd.

Of course with more things it will decrease the amount of time it can stay on in the event of power failure. But I think he was talking about battery life, in terms of when the battery will go bad. On my UPS's, I have to change the battery about every 2 years (and that seems the average from others I have talked to). I don't see why that lifecycle would vary based on how much is plugged into the unit, however, since the battery is rarely ever used (only charged and charged and charged).