Reload this Page >

Need Suggestions For MP3 Manager

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-27-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I downloaded media monkey free ware and it was awesome but unfortunely it only has a 30 day evaluation and then you have to upgrade it if I want to keep ripping my cd's onto my computer. Does anyone have any recommendations for another mp3 manager that's as easy to use and able to conver .wmp or .wma to .mp3? Or better yet, is there something I can do to keep using it? Thanks
Old 02-27-06, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
iTunes does the job and is free.
Old 02-28-06, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

does that mean I have to convert my mp3's into a itunes compataible format? any other suggestions?
Old 02-28-06, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

songbird
www.songbirdnest.com

it's based on mozilla technology and unlike itunes, you can purchase music through it from a variety of places - most of the major ones are supported and more to come in the future.
Old 02-28-06, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

with itunes, you don't have to convert your mp3s to anything... but windows media formats will need to be converted.

winamp will also manage files - and so will windows media player and realplayer and a slew of others.
Old 02-28-06, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by phatboy
does that mean I have to convert my mp3's into a itunes compataible format? any other suggestions?
I second the recommendation for iTunes. MP3s are compatible, as are WAV, AIFF, Apple Lossless and MP4.
Old 03-01-06, 10:48 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, iTunes is the best free one (and probably better than any pay ones).

I use it and I don't even have an iPod. I manage all my mp3's in it and drag and drop them onto my Creative MuVo and Dell DJ in windows (well the DJ has a program you have to open and drag and drop to).

The only draw back is you'll have to convert the .wma files to .mp3 first as iTunes won't play them.
Old 03-02-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i should've also mentioned that there are couple of things I'm looking for that media monkey did....one is that I would like for the songs to show in the task bar when it changes to a new song....2nd I'd like it to have the artist & title listed when I rip the songs instead of having to manually label it like I had to with my sonicstage bruner program that came with my computer...can someeon tell me if itunes does both?
Old 03-02-06, 02:40 PM

Yes, iTunes shows the song it's playing in a bar at the top of the screen, and will pull in all the tag data from the CDDB when you insert a CD.
Old 03-02-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Double Down
Yes, iTunes shows the song it's playing in a bar at the top of the screen, and will pull in all the tag data from the CDDB when you insert a CD.

but does it still show the song if I minimize the player? The media monkey thing is great b/c I can minimize the entire player but in the tray icon it still shows the song title & artist & when it goes to the next song it automatically shows the info without having to maximize the player to figure out what the song or title is.
Old 03-02-06, 03:10 PM

Yes, there is a mini iTunes player that sits on top of all open windows to display song title and artist.
Old 03-02-06, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

cool

edit: Why won' it let me play the songs while I'm ripping? It keeps breaking up & i know it's from ripping the cd at the same time but I didn't have a problem doing this on either of my last two players...any suggestions to fix this?

edit 2: hmmm having more problems.... I'm having a hard time finding the place where it gives me an option to rip the song with just the artist & song title....it defaulst to just the # of the track & the song title. thanks for all your hlep

Last edited by phatboy; 03-02-06 at 04:27 PM.