Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

About to buy a blackberry and need newbie advice from the experts :)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-26-06, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this on a blackberry forum but its not getting much traffic so thought id try you guys since i would like to buy one in next few days.

I was tempted by treo 650 but 8700 seems more stable and since im mostly looking for reliable phone, email and web access the 8700 seem my best bet.

I have a few newbies questions though....

1) My providers largest data package is only 25MB. How likely am I to exceed this with maybe 50 emails a month and light to normal web browsing ?

2) How much data does yahoo messenger take to send and receive messages ? Are we talking a few bytes depending on the length of text or is there some sort of padding of the data to make it bigger ?

3) Am I right in thinking that since the browser supports SSL, I should have no trouble accessing online banking sites and online shops like amazon ? How secure is this over a phone network ?

4) Since im in Canada, would the current lawsuit/threatening to shutdown the Blackberry network affect me or is that US only ?

5) Most importantly, Ive seen many people complain about the low volume on this device. Is this a real concern or just lots of people with bad hearing ?

Thanks
Old 02-26-06, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have an older blackberry at work and we are getting treo's some time this year. Can't wait.

BB is OK, but nothing special.
Old 02-27-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a BB for about a year and got it swapped out for a Treo. The BB is nothing more than a dumb Unix terminal IMO. Web surfing was very slow and e-mails took a long time to receive (but that could be our internal issue and not BB related)

I love the Treo. Much faster in receiving e-mails and surfing the web.
Old 02-27-06, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

BB's really run Java applications. That is why they are slow

1. monthly useage is hard for anyone here to determine for you. Text only emails do not take up much bandwidth at all. 50 a month would be no problem with a 25mb limit.

2. I don't really use yahoo IM so I am not sure, but you can be 100% sure there is overhead in sending your text message. I would guess that the overhead would be minor, but it will add up if you send 500 IM's a day

3. I wouldn't expect to able to access and adequately use a bank web site from the BB. I have not had good luck in using web sites that didn't specifically have a ported down version for portable devices.

4. I don't think BB's will be shut down. RIM may have to execute it's patch on every device, but I don't think they will be shutdown - not sure how it affects canadian users either way.

5. The volume on mine is fine, I have a 7520 Nextel

What I hate is the battery life. This thing can barley make it 2 days, usually it's only a day
Old 02-27-06, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
I love the Treo. Much faster in receiving e-mails and surfing the web.
How reliable do you find it ? Seems everyone online is bitching about it crashing constantly. I have a friends whose treo crashes everythime 2 people try to call him at once lol. I do like the treo, is the browser really faster than the BB 8700 ? BOth are edge enabled right ?
Old 02-27-06, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

once in a while I have to turn my BB off, take the battery out and turn it back on. Most of the people fascinated by them where I work are the 20 somethings. It seems anyone over 30 simply uses it for email and a few other tasks and that's it. And we have the BB Enterprise Server.

If they took away my BB and gave me back a regular nextel phone I wouldn't care. If I wanted mobile internet i would buy one of those PDA things with wireless with mini internet explorer. internet on my BB sucks since it's text only.
Old 02-27-06, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have never used it but with the current lawsuit I wouldn't buy one.

Here's a copy of recent article

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060227/wr_nm/rim_dc
Old 02-27-06, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

mine crashes every so often. it's like a magic set of keystrokes will reboot it.
Old 02-28-06, 08:33 PM

my wife is interested in getting a BB for it's pda and cell features, what would people recommend instead?
Old 02-28-06, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

blakader, you might check out this one, I've been thinking about getting one (trying to get my employer to pay for it). We currently use blackberry's, but I'd rather get something with more than just email. I think verizon is bringing this model out soon also (currently it's just sprintpcs)
http://www.pcspromotions.com/product.php?id=ppc6700
Old 03-02-06, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 355 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by strife
I have never used it but with the current lawsuit I wouldn't buy one.

Here's a copy of recent article

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060227/wr_nm/rim_dc
Yeah but the OP is in Canada, and to answer his question about that, if the shut down actually happens (most think it is unlikely), everything I've read says that it will only affect US users (and even in their case, there is supposed to be a workaround). Canadian users should have no issues at all.
Old 03-03-06, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cultshock
Yeah but the OP is in Canada, and to answer his question about that, if the shut down actually happens (most think it is unlikely), everything I've read says that it will only affect US users (and even in their case, there is supposed to be a workaround). Canadian users should have no issues at all.
With today's $612m settlement, no more worries
Old 03-04-06, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by blakader
my wife is interested in getting a BB for it's pda and cell features, what would people recommend instead?

anything based on Windows Mobile software
Old 03-04-06, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by blakader
The Treo 650 is an amazing phone. If you prefer Windows Mobile the Treo 700W is also a choice.
Old 03-06-06, 04:11 PM

Let me put a vote in for a treo 650.
Yes, some do crash, but if you limit yourself to software you need, and not load every app created by some 6th grader you will be fine. I have a very full treo...I use all but 5 meg of my space, and hardly ever reset, and I can not think of the last time it reset in a "critical" app like phone or emial. Mostly when I tries to open one of my home published e books like a compendium of all 35 James axler ebooks as a single 25meg file...man, the thing is just not made to handle something like that