Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody use DSL Extreme?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Anybody use DSL Extreme?

Old 02-01-06, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody use DSL Extreme?

I saw that DSLExtreme.com is offering DSL in my area for $14.99/month for a 1-year contract.

Seems like a great deal, since the comparable SBC Yahoo DSL offer is only for 6 months.

However, I've never heard of DSL Extreme. Does anybody here use their service? If you have, I'd love to hear some feedback on them.

Thanks.
Old 02-02-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have used DSL Extreme for the past 4 years and have had great service. I signed up for the $14.99/month 1-year contract when I moved.
Old 02-03-06, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
The deal in SBC areas is now 12.95 (384-1500) for a year, or 17.95 if you want the 1500-3000 plan.

I've been with SBC for nearly 5 years, but that deal is one I can't pass up.
Old 10-13-12, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts
Re: Anybody use DSL Extreme?

Okay, so six and a half years later, let's see if opinions have changed!

I have AT&T Uverse and my current bill drops the whatever discount I had, so it's now $48 a month. If I was excitedly happy with AT&T, I might stick around, but they seem to have periods where the service gets sketchy for weeks at a time.

In any case, if DSLExtreme service is good, I'm gonna switch. So, opinions?
Old 10-27-12, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's funny, I said in my post back in '06 that it was a deal that was too good to pass up. I ended up passing on it, though I have no idea why. I probably didn't want to go through the hassle.

I finally got fed up with AT&T after they refused to replace my DSL modem which after nearly 10 years of use had crapped out. I signed up with DSL Extreme in 2011. I'm currently on my second contract with them, but it'll probably be my last.

First off, the service is solid. I've never had any downtime that wasn't solved by a modem reboot. I'm on the 6000/768Kbps service, and in my second year I'm paying $30 a month. The first year was $20 for that speed. The speed is right on those target numbers when you factor in overhead, and is double what I got from AT&T while costing much less.

I had a major issue with them earlier this year. One month, due to their website billing system screwing up, I was billed 6 times for one month of service. Now the billing department at DSL Extreme was right on the ball once I made them aware of the problem, but having over $160 bucks taken from my checking account due to a snafu with their system obviously has made me very wary when I pay my bill. And it took a while to get all my money back from them.

Overall, I think it's a good service, at a great price (as long as they don't keep charging you). I'm probably going to switch to cable when my contract is up, but who knows, maybe I'll stick around like I did in '06.
Old 01-08-13, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

Thanks for the input (and sorry for not checking back for awhile! ).

On the billing issue, do they only have an automatic withdrawal type setup for billing? Because I hate and avoid those - kinda for the reason you stated.

But since AT&T sent a friendly notice about rates going up again, I'm gonna dump 'em!
Old 01-10-13, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
Thanks for the input (and sorry for not checking back for awhile! ).

On the billing issue, do they only have an automatic withdrawal type setup for billing? Because I hate and avoid those - kinda for the reason you stated.

But since AT&T sent a friendly notice about rates going up again, I'm gonna dump 'em!
They have automatic billing if you wish to use it. In fact, if I had used it the problem I had probably would have never happened.

Basically, you can put in your billing info, and save it, then you can either authorize them to take out the payment, or you can go to the website and do it yourself. Other than that one bad month, I can't complain about the billing. You could also just put in your account info every month if you don't want to save it.

My contract is now up, so I'm currently deciding if I'm going to sign up for another year or say goodbye and head to cable. If AT&T is jacking up your rate, I'd say make your move.

The only downtime I've ever had with DSL Extreme came last month when AT&T actually cut the copper to my apartment when they were putting UVerse in for my neighbor. So of course I had no DSL or phone of any kind for almost 2 days. I can't blame you one bit for wanting to get away from them.
Old 01-10-13, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

If you are paying $30 a month, have you considered cable? I am paying $40 for 15/2 in socal through twc for turbo. They do offer cheaper packages as well, starting around $20 or so. Pricing depends on area of course, but just something to consider.
Old 01-10-13, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have nothing to offer about the actual topic from the OP, but am I the only 12 year old who when they see the title of the thread, thinks it is a long lost misplaced Adult Forum thread?
Old 01-12-13, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
If you are paying $30 a month, have you considered cable? I am paying $40 for 15/2 in socal through twc for turbo. They do offer cheaper packages as well, starting around $20 or so. Pricing depends on area of course, but just something to consider.

Cable is much better than DSL, imho.

I had SBC Yahoo DSL back in 2005-2007 I hated it, I switched from SBC DSL to Cable. Still loving it!