Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Sound Card - Optical Input - help needed?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-25-06, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok...I'm looking at a TV with detachable speakers and the TV also has a built in OPTICAL OUTPUT. I would rather use the speakers hooked up to my PC for this LCD and have full surround sound. HOWEVER, is there a "special" sound card that has optical input? I have a sound card with optical out, but that does me no good.

What would I need? I may just bypass the whole situation and hook up a receiver to he TV, but less components would be better for space.

thanks
Old 01-25-06, 10:10 AM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
I know there are cards with coax digital input. Can't recall any optical ones.

You can buy an optical->coax converter for about $15.
Old 01-25-06, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks...I'll look into that (or if anyone knows any...post please). Looking for a good deal.

I saw an EXTERNAL one for around $250 with OPT IN, but that's a bit much. i can get an average receiver for that price.
Old 01-25-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum (with an Audigy Drive) has Optical in, and should be around $100 dollars or so.

I'm guessing that the sound output will not be synched with the TV if you do it that way though.

Last edited by Nifty03; 01-25-06 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-25-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nifty03
A Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum (with an Audigy Drive) has Optical in, and should be around $100 dollars or so.

I'm guessing that the sound output will not be synched with the TV if you do it that way though.
Ok thanks...that just seems pointless then for me. I guess I will have to go the receiver route and just hook my PC up via the receiver also. I wanted to save some room. Luckily I have an extra decent receiver and an extra pair of POLK speakers
Old 01-25-06, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
The Soundblaster X-fi Platinum has optical in...but in the front
Old 01-26-06, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks....has anyone used one with a TV. I don't want LAG because that would defeat the purpose of having my TV sound going through my PC speaker system.

I guess I'll figure it out soon enough. I'll probably go the receiver router, but then it would make my PC speakers obsolete. Trying to save some cash and space.
Old 01-31-06, 01:51 PM

Optical input

creative Labs has your solution:
Audigy Platinum Ex
Audigy 2 platinum pro
There are a few others they have just can remember the models, check ebay for them and creative even has an ebay store