Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Recommend a VOIP provider (where you can BYOD)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-20-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using broadvoice, but they are just not very stable.

Sometimes (often) calls dont get completed, 'all lines are busy' etc etc.

And of course no fax support and no 911 support (does anyone have 911 yet)?

So - looking for ideas for a new VOIP provider - but where I can bring my own device (so not vonage etc - i want to be able to hook up asterisk to it).

Any recommendations?
Old 01-20-06, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have used 3 different VoiP in the past year and found Vonage to be the best. You can fax with them (but this may take serveral tries) and yes you will need to purchase one of their VoiP boxes or just buy one on ebay for $10.00. The other 2 that I used are Sunrocket and Packet8. By far Sunrocket is the bottom of the barrel. They were down more then they were up and the quality of the voice w/ echos mixed in made it unusable. Packet8 I used for one month and it was ok. They are a little behind the rest. There are a few others out there but those are the ones I have used. As for 911 or E911 service they all have them. Just remember you will need to give your address even if you call 911/E911 reguardless.

Last edited by TheKobra; 01-20-06 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-20-06, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sunrocket had problems for me last summer, but it has been basically perfect for me since about October.
Old 01-20-06, 11:11 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We're getting ready to try vonage, will post impressions when we get everything.

We cancelled our DSL as it was slow and sucky in general as most DSL around here is, and it left noise on the phone after being disconnected. They checked it out twice and couldn't find anything wrong inside or out. So we said screw it, cancelled and are trying vonage.

If it sucks, we'll just stick to our cell phones.
Old 01-21-06, 11:09 AM

I've tried vonage. It seemed like a decent provider, but too expensive for what I needed it for (basically backup for the cell phone). It also reminded me too much of cell providers; fees for signing up, fees for cancelling, lots of taxes, etc.

I recently signed up for sunrocket and haven't had any problems with reliabilty or voice quality, though I haven't had it long enough to make any claims. It was a much better deal then vonage. $199 a year for unlimited minutes, two incoming phone numbers and voicemail boxes, free equipment including two uniden cordless phones, and a full set of calling features. The best part for me was the return policy. Within the first 30 days I can send the equipment back (prepaid UPS label was included) and get a full refund. Even get to keep the cordless phones. After 30 days they prorate your refund, and let you keep all equipment.
Old 01-21-06, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Are you charged on VoIP if someone calls you? For example, I hardly ever make long distance calls anymore. The $14.99 Vonage plan with 500 minutes a month is the perfect thing for me. But if I'm charged for minutes when people call me as well, then I may have to do the $24.99 plan.
Old 01-21-06, 03:47 PM

I don't think vonage or sunrocket give you free incoming calls on the limited minutes plans. Thats why I went with sunrocket. Roughly $15 for unlimited if you pay a year in advance. And to the OP, if you already have equipment they give 15 months for $199.
Old 01-21-06, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i got in on sunrocket when they were $20 per month each month and gave out the free phones, free setup and voip box.

they were down from time to time at first....but as seeker said they've been rock solid since then. i don't use my phone much so paying $45 per month was crap. i'm porting to sunrocket this month.

i recently called 911 to confirm my address and name came across and it did just fine. they even called me back to make sure all was well.
Old 01-21-06, 07:45 PM

I believe they still offer $20 a month with free phones but it requires a promo code (which I'm sure isn't hard to find).
Old 01-23-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i can send one if anyone is interested (it's a referral based thing...just so you know)
Old 01-23-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I've only ever used Vonage. Call quality was horrendous for some time about a year ago but it's been very good since. Faxes work fine too. This is crazy, but it works: buy a regular DSL filter from Radio Shack and then hook it from your fax to the Vonage box. My dropped faxes almost completely went away.
Old 01-23-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
I checked with Vonage, and apparently incoming minutes are not accounted for on your $14.99 plan. Which is cool. However, the startup costs are like $60. It's still cheaper in the long run, but I may have to wait a little while before I jump on this.
Old 05-28-07, 12:45 PM

Will Vonage work with my existing Dell TrueMobile 2300 router and Toshiba modem?

It seems all I'll need is the phone adapter thingy.