Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Computer won't start windows...says it's 'dumping physical memory'....what do I do?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Computer won't start windows...says it's 'dumping physical memory'....what do I do?

Old 01-05-06, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Okay...My computer was randomly shutting off when I used it a few weeks back. Then I left town for 2 weeks. When I got home, I plugged my computer in and...it just won't work at all. My computer starts up and right before Windows is about to start, a blue screen flashes up for literally half a second, and then the computer shuts down, and re-starts...repeating the same cycle endlessly until I turn it off.

The quick screen flash has about a paragraph of stuff on it, but i can only make out a few words that stick out each time I see it. It's too quick to read it all. It does say "DUMPING PHYSICAL MEMORY", and then I saw the words "Contact"..."Assistance"...

I can't start it in Safe Mode, it does the exact same thing.
I can't start if from the last good version that exists. It just does the same thing. I have no idea what to do. I can't get into windows to run a virus scan, or spybot, or adaware...

I have Windows XP on a Hewlett Packard...Help!
Old 01-05-06, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Your RAM is bad, replace it.
Old 01-05-06, 09:34 PM
X
Administrator

If it used to work you might try taking out your RAM and reseating it.

You may have loaded a bad driver of some sort that could have caused this. It would be a good idea to get the DOS-based Memtest86 and run that for a while to see if it's your system or your software.
Old 01-05-06, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I had the same problem earlier this week. My first advice is to try and repair your Windows installation. If that doesn't work, and it didn't for me, then run memtest86+ that X mentioned. If you memory shows no errors, then it's not that. Personally, I'd let the memtest run for at least a couple hours. My problem had to do with network settings, so I did a clean reinstall, which my computer needed anyway.

The only difference in our situations was that I could boot into safe mode. You can't. However, I couldn't boot into safe mode with networking, because it would restart just as the desktop was about to come up. That's when I figured out the problem. So you might want to check your network settings as well.
Old 01-06-06, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You can try using the Recovery console on the XP disc and use "fixboot" and/or "fixmbr" to see if you can get past the blue screen. Wouldn't hurt to run chkdsk either.
Old 01-06-06, 08:07 PM

Try changing ram or have power supply checked.
Old 01-07-06, 09:18 AM

Open you computer case and visually inspect the motherboard for bulging and/or leaking capacitors.