Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the best 3-way splitter to get? (PC/cable modem and cable)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-04-06, 08:33 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

I need to get a new splitter because my PC is having some trouble connecting to my optonline service. I called and a technician said I probably need a new splitter. So I have my PC/cable modem and 2 cable connections going into the splitter with the cable from the outside going to the single input side.

So what do I need? I think I need something with less dB for the PC/cable modem right? Is there a specific one that is the best and can I get it at Radio Shack?

Quick help would be so appreciated...
Old 01-04-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You need to have the cable company come out and properly setup your service. They have expensive tools to measure signal strength and quality, its not as easy as just replacing the splitter usually, although that might be the answer. Has your cable modem previously worked and now stopped working? Splitters typically dont go bad, its probably another issue. If this is a new installation have you tried connecting the incoming cable directly to the cable modem?

As far as specs on a splitter you need a bi directional splitter with a frequency range up to at least 1Ghz, pretty standard these days. I didnt see a 3-way on the radioshack.com site but here is a 4-way:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...20&tab=summary

Last edited by cseyer; 01-04-06 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-04-06, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by cseyer
You need to have the cable company come out and properly setup your service. They have expensive tools to measure signal strength and quality, its not as easy as just replacing the splitter usually, although that might be the answer. Has your cable modem previously worked and now stopped working? Splitters typically dont go bad, its probably another issue. If this is a new installation have you tried connecting the incoming cable directly to the cable modem?

As far as specs on a splitter you need a bi directional splitter with a frequency range up to at least 1Ghz, pretty standard these days. I didnt see a 3-way on the radioshack.com site but here is a 4-way:
that looks good. i will try it (i can always return it). we did some tests and it seemed to be just the splitter so we'll see. thanks.
Old 01-04-06, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by cseyer
i don't think that 4-way would work because that decreases signal strength by -7.5dB for each output. i need something less especially for the cable modem which i know has to have the least loss. right?
Old 01-04-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You want as little loss as possible. In my installation I split the cable modem off initially with a 2-way splitter and then to a 6 way for cable boxes/tv's. This is where a cable technician can use his tools and measure strength and quality and you would know if you can stand a 7.5 db loss. If not they can install an amplifier, fix faulty wiring/connections, etc. Here is a 3-way on Amazon but still has a 5.7 db loss, you will not find a lossless splitter. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282

You can trial and error it or I would recommend having the cable company fix it, you are paying them for this service.
Old 01-04-06, 11:02 AM

I also reccomend having the cable company come check the wiring. In my case, every one of my cable jacks was putting out very little signal strength. They fixed that so that I go a good enough signal out of the wall. Then I installed an amplifier right before my splitter to jack the signal strength up. So far haven't had any problems.
Old 01-04-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Radio Shack has those amplified splitters which may help you out.
Old 01-04-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

3 ways,4 ways

moving to adult.