Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Laptop power supply

Old 01-04-06, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Laptop power supply

I have a 1.5 yr. old laptop power supply that it having problems. The barrel connector has apparently overheated once or twice and one of the metal contacts has sunken down into the plastic. So, now there is only one contact that actually touches the pin on the computer side, and even then it isn't making contact 100% of the time. The screen will flash at random that the computer is unplugged and then back again. Also, the plug still gets ungodly hot at times.

I called the manufacturer to get a replacement and of course it is out of warranty. The quote they gave me was about $90 for one. What I am wondering is if I can use another I have lying around the house as a substitute.

The output on my present one is 19V / 3.95A. The output an old Gateway one I have is 19V / 3.68A, assuming the connector would work, haven't tried it yet. Would this present a major problem? If the connector works, but the current difference is a problem, can I just cut the connectors off and splice the wires or something?
Old 01-05-06, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not sure if it would work, as I have never tried it, but have you searched ebay? You might be able to find something new or used at a lot less than what the manufacturer is trying to sell it for.
Old 01-05-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unfortunately, the connector from my old Gateway doesn't fit, so that option is out.

I did check eBay, but I would probably have to get one with multiple connectors so I got one that fit. Unfortunately, most of those seem to be at around 3.5 or 3.75 amps, while my present transformer is at 3.95A. Will this present a problem?