Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need ASP.NET/IIS help

Old 01-03-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Need ASP.NET/IIS help

I've been toying with ASP.NET and have written an application that works with an ODBC database (at the moment, an Access db, with Microsoft JET as the interface.) It works great in Visual Studio.NET - but when I deploy it, I get tons of security errors ("You do not have permission to work with this object," etc.)

How do people usually get this working? There's such a mind-boggling array of security features - server-level authentication, file system permissions, IIS, ASP.NET, and of course Access security - that I can't even imagine how to proceed with run-of-the-mill security. To make matters worse, I want to deploy this application in a typical hosted environment, so I won't have 100% control over user account privileges.

Help! And, thanks -

- David Stein
Old 01-03-06, 04:42 PM
X
Administrator

All of this app runs on the server? Or is some run as ActiveX on the user's computer? Are you using any ActiveX controls?
Old 01-03-06, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No ActiveX (afaik) - it's pure ASP.NET. At most/worst, it uses an OleDbConnection interface to the database. Yet I'm having a bitch of a time trying to get any kind of access to any files in the directory - obviously I've screwz0red the security perms.

- David Stein
Old 01-03-06, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This has a lot to do with the server it is on. I know when I was helping implement something like this we were getting tons of ODBC errors, etc. I know when we need to make changes we tell our hosting provider to "turn that folder into a .net application" although I couldn't tell you what in the world that means.
Old 01-03-06, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What OS?