Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Has Anyone Tried Windows OneCare?

Old 01-03-06, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Has Anyone Tried Windows OneCare?

link.

the beta is free to try -- this will be a subscription service in the future. has anyone had any experience with it? i may give it a try in the near future.
Old 01-07-06, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This does look interesting. But it is funny when Microsoft talks about security!
Old 01-07-06, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Typical Microsoft.

Link above results in..

We're sorry...
Windows OneCare was unable to complete your request. Please try again later.

Additional Information: Specified cast is not valid.

Sonic
Old 01-09-06, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i installed this over the weekend and have some preliminary opinions.

first, after installing, my computer was unable to boot into windows. it would get to the windows xp is starting screen and reboot. a quick google showed that if attached external HDs could cause this. i turned off the external HD and windows booted up normally.

second, the firewall has both incoming and outgoing monitoring and more robust options for managing ports.

the backup utility sucks. you can only back up to external media (excluding an internal HD, which is what i use for backups anyway). their synctoy app does a decent job of sync'ing folders and can be scheduled through the windows scheduler (and the job is not completed in the .bkf format).

the scheduled defragmenter apparently does not do full defrags according to several sites i have looked at.

the program tells me that i need a critical office 2003 update. however, when i go to the windows site and try to install the update, it fails (error 0x51f IIRC). granted this is not due to the onecare program, but it is annoying. btw, if the windows update site thinks i need the office 2003 cd in the drive in order to install the update, TELL ME AND DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY FAIL THE INSTALL WITHOUT ANY DECENT VERBAGE (except of course for the clearly understood error 0x51f).

i've had no problems with the antivirus utility, nor any conflicts with norton AV.

finally, this release does not incorporate MS antispyware.

overall, it is a pretty decent package which needs many kinks worked out before i would consider paying a subscription fee.

kms