Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Google selling cheap PC

Old 01-03-06, 10:10 AM

Google selling cheap PC

Apparently google is going to start selling it own cheap PCs. My god they are quick. It's scary the speed they are expanding. Microsoft must be worried now.

Cheap PCs, anyone?

Google will unveil its own low-price personal computer or other device that connects to the Internet.

Sources say Google has been in negotiations with Wal-Mart Stores Inc., among other retailers, to sell a Google PC. The machine would run an operating system created by Google, not Microsoft's Windows, which is one reason it would be so cheap perhaps as little as a couple of hundred dollars.
This is where the article came from: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,3503327.story
Old 01-04-06, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mollytt
Apparently google is going to start selling it own cheap PCs. My god they are quick. It's scary the speed they are expanding.

This is where the article came from: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,3503327.story

Apparently the LA Times jumped the gun. My god they are quick. It's scary the speed they report things without fact checking.

January 4, 2006

Google denies low-cost PC claims
No truth in rumours, it says

Jonny Evans

The LA Times has sparked an international wave of rumours that Google and Wal-Mart will launch a low-cost PC with a Google-made OS at the CES (Consumer Electronics show) in Las Vegas - but it's just not true, the search giant told Macworld UK this morning.

Google representatives in the UK denied the LA Times report as "wholly inaccurate", stressing the company's good relationships with existing PC makers.

"We have many PC partners who serve their markets exceedingly well and we see no need to enter that market," said a spokesperson for Google.

The LA Times reported on Sunday that the Google PC could cost as little as a couple of hundred dollars because it would not use Windows.

Google co-founder Larry Page will deliver a keynote address on Friday at CES. Analysts suspect Page will use the high-profile forum to: "Show off a Google computing device or announce a partnership with a big retailer to sell such a machine," the LA Times said.

A Wal-Mart spokesperson also called the report: "A rumour without any truth to it at all."
This is the where the article came from: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=5493
Old 01-07-06, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

PC's are a *very* low margin business, and the margins on low end PC are very very low.

I forgot, why should Microsoft be scared?
Old 01-07-06, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
PC's are a *very* low margin business, and the margins on low end PC are very very low.

I forgot, why should Microsoft be scared?
The rumors are that Google is working on their own version of Linux.